gearbox rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox rattle

just got back from a trip to cornwall and found when i,m stopped i can here a rattle, tapping noise. when i push the clutch peddle in it stops. any ideas what it is, release bearing, flywheel?

Originally posted by jamsironwork
    just got back from a trip to cornwall and found when i,m stopped i can here a rattle, tapping noise. when i push the clutch peddle in it stops. any ideas what it is, release bearing, flywheel?

Pixies!!
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

thrust/release bearing sounds like. not sure about the surfs, but on my mondeo the bearing has been like this since i done the clutch and gearbox and didn't remember to change the bearing, that was 41,000miles ago. its no better/worse so i wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse. but saying that, i know jack about the surfs at the moment so don't know whether the same rules apply.
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

nice 1st gen logey turned one of those down about 18 months ago, regretted it ever since

Comment

forgot to say that i checked gearbox oil level and the oil in there was red and frothy, didn,t have enough new oil to do a change but isn,t that the wrong colour oil for a manual gearbox, is auto trans fluid a reddy colour?

Comment

nice 1st gen logey turned one of those down about 18 months ago, regretted it ever since
            cheers geezer. i quite like it myself...volunteer to drive everyone around still just as excuse to drive it as much as poss. when you say the oil is frothy, is that when cold as well or when warm? had what can best describe as frothy oil in an old granadas box once..turned out to be water

Comment

think it was cold when i checked going to change it soon as poss now anyway

Comment

only just noticed but yours is 1st gen as well isn't it? get more picks of it onto the members rigs-looks better than my one from that pic prezzie from this fella was it?

Comment

lol no prezzie from ebay. no its not 1st gen but first year of the second i think

Comment

I took my surf in for a service a couple of weeks ago and the guy noticed the same thing - a rattling when he switched it off. He also suspected the gear box so he had a look.

He discovered that it was the flywheel and he is suggesting modifying it so that it is solid - they have done this once before.

I don't really understand all of this, but perhaps yours is the same!

Comment

Gearbox

Hi,
                      My vehicle aslo has a slightly noisier sound when the clutch pedal is up. This is more noticable when hot. I knew the noise sounded like a thrust bearing from other cars I`ve owned. When I purchased my 1st gen, it came with a recent invoice for new clutch and thrust bearing! So, they either did`nt fit a new bearing or its a common niggle with the flywheel- I`ve read on a forum before about changing the flywheel to solve the problem? In any case, live with it until the next clutch change.
                      cheers,
                      chris