HELP! 1st gen Idiot needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! 1st gen Idiot needs help!

after reading many threads related to this subject i'm still in the dark.

firstly, my surf is a 1986 3door 1st gen. the engine is the 2LT.

green turbo light comes on after about 2000rpm and i can hear the police siren turbo going. it stays on until i either release my accelerator completely or drop to a speed where i do not exceed 2000rpm. ok, this means that cruising at 55mph and over the light stays on. does that sound normal?

occasionally if i get over excited with the right foot the red light to the side of the green light comes on. lift the foot and all is well and green light comes back on. now does this mean there is a fault or not? i've tried to find the box for E1 and TE1 to connect these terminals and do the code diagnosis, but i don't seem to have this flip lid box anywhere on my motor. i searched the oz website and it said i may have a green connector system for diagnosis but i can't find this either.

i am now getting paranoid that the ASBO brigade has done something to my beloved and i may have to start killing all hoodies with my laser vision...but that isn't working either....please help this 1st generation idiot!!!!!!!
    Last edited by logey79; 2 April 2006, 18:15. Reason: missed out title info
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

The green light is good, it means the turbo is up to boost pressure.

The red light is not so good, its means the turbo is over boosting, or you have another engine fault.

First check someone hasn't stacked to many washers under the wastegate valve to increase the boost, then pull the fault codes to see if anything else is amiss. Details are on the forum somewhere, do a little search.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      The green light is good, it means the turbo is up to boost pressure.

The red light is not so good, its means the turbo is over boosting, or you have another engine fault.

First check someone hasn't stacked to many washers under the wastegate valve to increase the boost, then pull the fault codes to see if anything else is amiss. Details are on the forum somewhere, do a little search.

cheers mate, will check the washer/wastegate situation. i went to do the diagnostics check so i could check the code for faults, but can't locate the diagnostics box thingy. i know on the newer surfs its located on drivers side and you run a wire from the E1 to TE1 terminals and turn ignition on and count the number of times the LED flashes, but my problem is that being the old model 1st gen, i can't find where i would do a diagnostics check-any ideas would be hugely appreciated-cheers

Comment

1st gen is non efi like Uncle Sumo's . I dont think there is any diagnoitic plug as is all mechanical system . Over boost or incorrect vac pipe hook up will put the red light on .

My opinion .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cool. At least i know. thanks, will look at the other suggestions. thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
          X