Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking my head off !

Hi All

Ok, most of the bits are out of the beast, just the turbo, and manifolds, one question peeps, the nuts are quite rusty on the turbo, so far I ain't broken anything "today", any ideas on how to get those nuts without hearing the little crack from a stud or 4 ?

Any tips, would be of great help as this is my 1st surf, and its been a bit of a slog today!

I can't wait to get the head exchanged and get these wheels rolling, at the moment its more like a perminent meeting point for all the neighbours, funny how they all ran a mile when I started this morn!

Should I replace the rad as it looks like I have loads of room to do that at the same time, and it probably caused the problem in the first place, this machine looks like it was driven for 2 years without anyone ever looking under the bonnet, or checking the oil...

Originally posted by spans
    Hi All

Ok, most of the bits are out of the beast, just the turbo, and manifolds, one question peeps, the nuts are quite rusty on the turbo, so far I ain't broken anything "today", any ideas on how to get those nuts without hearing the little crack from a stud or 4 ?worried2:

If you can see what you're doing, and have a can, spray the studs/nuts with WD40 now and let it soak in overnight. By the time you work on them tomorrow, they should come undone o.k.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      If you can see what you're doing, and have a can, spray the studs/nuts with WD40 now and let it soak in overnight. By the time you work on them tomorrow, they should come undone o.k.

Another good tip if you get that dreadful feeling of flexing the stud get a blow torch (plumbing one is good) and heat the nut up a little bit try to aim all the tip of the flame at the nut and then try to loosen the nut as the heat expands the nut also if you heat the nut then spray WD40 on it capillary action pulls the oil into the threads smokes a bit but has always worked well in the past and it worked on my mates Nissan Skyline. Good luck.

Comment

loose nuts

If none of the previous replys work, try to tighten the nuts just a little bit. I know it sounds crazy but it cracks the "seal" of rust.
        I know this works cause I work with rusty S***E all day long, (equipment returned from offshore environment).
        Just remember to take it easy, you don`t want to snap the studs.
        Good luck!!

Comment

Thank you

Hi, and thank you to all for your helpful advice, (thanks to you and me saying many 4 and 6 letter words, even managed to make a complete sentence at one time..) now I have me head off, and Wow, cracked between the valves on 3 cylinders, ok now before I give stevo a call, I'd better grovel to the boss, but if anyone knows an alternative I could try them, I am worried about the really really cheap heads on Ebay, but I am pretty much skint thiese couple of months, any advise out there in surf land ??

Comment

Originally posted by spans
            Hi, and thank you to all for your helpful advice, (thanks to you and me saying many 4 and 6 letter words, even managed to make a complete sentence at one time..) now I have me head off, and Wow, cracked between the valves on 3 cylinders, ok now before I give stevo a call, I'd better grovel to the boss, but if anyone knows an alternative I could try them, I am worried about the really really cheap heads on Ebay, but I am pretty much skint thiese couple of months, any advise out there in surf land ??
            Dont cut corners on this one item . Get the head from Stevo and fit as he instructs . If you buy cheap , you get cheap .Buy from Steve and you will be fine .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              Dont cut corners on this one item . Get the head from Stevo and fit as he instructs . If you buy cheap , you get cheap .Buy from Steve and you will be fine .

as he said, skimp now and you'll pay for it again later.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Working...
              X