No announcement yet.

Surf looks like it's running on coal !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf looks like it's running on coal !

Folks am I in for another extremely expensive repair! I came home the other day with a mate following me he commented on the amount of black crud coming from my surfs exhaust.

I took it for a run up a hill and was devastated to see copious amounts of black reek billowing from the exhaust.

When I start up from cold she billows grey smoke but I don't consider that too much of an issue co's it usually clears just like my old lorries used to do.

Now when I let her warm up the smoke stays and if I floor the throttle full power I loose sight of the house and turn the gravel drive black with soot.

She's not burning oil and she pulls ok on a run thinking maybe something to do with the injectors or pump. Well I am hoping any ideas greatly received.

Cheers JB
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Check your air filter. A blocked or restricted air filter will cause black smoke.
    Also try some Redex injector cleaner in your tank.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks new air filter was fitted last week. Why would Redex make such a difference is that because of carbon build up in the engine.? thanks

JB

Comment

The redex will clean and flush the injectors so that they spray a mist rather than dribble, which is probably what yours are doing. I use Redex about once a month to keep my injectors clean and now my truck hardly smokes at all. I didn't measure any amounts of redex, I just poured the whole bottle into the tank which only had about £10 worth of diesel in, and I noticed the difference within about 15 miles of driving.

Comment

millers do one that is supposed to be very very good and my mate who does fuel pumps & injectors swears by it when he does your pump or injectors he puts it in for free
          and of course there is the forte range that is supposed to be good ive used it in my diesel merc
          redex has been around for years now so there must be some truth in it and they all must work to some degree
          i think it does say on the millers & redex that you cant over treat so you can stick it in with a tenners worth and run it out
          at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

You had the fuel filter changed too?

Comment

As they say chuck in a full bottle of REDEX for diesels....Possibly the injectors have a carbon build up which is making them dribble as oppose to spray.

Failing that you may have to get the injectors recond...

May be off the mark, but what about Timing/Fuel Pump????? to others who reading this
              Gaz

Comment

I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, I thought if anything that would weaken the mixture to the point of kangaroo juice. I Have a new one in the garage to put on just plucking up the enthusiasm to get out there after changing the radiator yesterday in the rain and on gravel drive, thats the grey gravel that hides all the nuts and bolts when youv'e dropped them.

Well it looks like it's got to be Redex then will let you know how it goes.

Cheers guy's.

JB

Comment

Don't be fooled by the redex/millers option-this is onl;y a temporary fix for something probably more serious. I'm taking mine to a garage in the morning-same deal; billowoing clouds of filth, trees and children dying as I drive past. I'm expecting a mahusive bill-will tell all after I get it back tomorrow
                  I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Comment

Originally posted by drgonzo
                    Don't be fooled by the redex/millers option-this is onl;y a temporary fix for something probably more serious. I'm taking mine to a garage in the morning-same deal; billowoing clouds of filth, trees and children dying as I drive past. I'm expecting a mahusive bill-will tell all after I get it back tomorrow

Cheerful soul
                    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Apologies for the misery but I have been so stressed out by the whole smoke thing-people won't drive behind me, when they overtake they swear at me and give me the finger and I only want to get up a hill! I can't afford massive garage bills, I wouldn't be able to sell the $$$$$$ thing and would be lumbered with a worthless broken piece of $$$$ which explains my lack of cheer.

HOWEVER! The mechanic has told me that the EGR valve is cagged up and is being soaked to clean it up-JOY! And only 2 hours worth of labour charges-YAY!!!

I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Comment

Mine used to smoke exessively i put a can of that Wurth diesel additive in about 7 tank fulls ago and its been fine ever since hardly any smoke even when foot to the floor
                        They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Comment

So it's WURTH doing then!

Comment

Brothers and sisters of the Surfing community

I found salvation from my sinful Soot & Smoke days, I used to look like Ivor the Engine after burning wet coal, and now I have seen the light.

My local mechanic adujsted the timing, I blocked the EGR and now I can see behind me again!, The power went up and so did the fuel consumption!

Now that's not to say that a dose of redex on occasion will not help because by thunder it does.

Give it a bash at the next service you may be suprised
                            I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Comment

Do you mean the fuel ECONOMY has gone up? Otherwise I think a lot of people will be alarmed to hear the fuel CONSUMPTION had gone up!

Comment

Working...
                              X