Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger attacked by steam!

Hi Folks,
    Whilst my 2.4 Hilux is purring like a big spoilt cat, my son's 2.4 is giving him hell. In the last couple of months he's had to have new radiator, water pump and head fitted. Yesterday, the passenger footwell filled-up with steam - for a spilt second he thought he was on fire... The temp guage read normal and he was still getting heat into the car.

By looking back at the posts here, we reckon that there is a problem with the heating matrix. If steam is escaping, is the problem as simple as a damaged hose or do we need to replace the unit? If we have to replace, how big a job is it? Is it accessible from inside the vehicle or from the rear of the engine compartment? Could it be an airlock within the heating matrix...etc...

We would be grateful for any advice.
    Pat

Sounds like it could be the heater matrix, as that's probably the only way you'll get steam inside the car. Might be worth giving Stevo a call if you can't get it sorted yourself as he's local to you (Liverpool way I believe) and is a wizard with Surf's.
    Mike G

Comment

Passenger attacked by steam!

Hi Tallyman,

Will be looking at the heating matrix asap. We're hoping to pin-point the problem in advance by checking on Surf-owners' experiences of how the heating matrix malfunctions and what tips they can give for a trouble-free repair/replacement.

Thanks

Pat

Comment

As a temporary measure, try using a short bit of correct size copper tube and cut the heater out of the circuit by connecting the input & output pipes together. That at least will stop the leak and allow you to continue driving the Surf until you can fix it. If you use the search facility on here there's probably somebody thats done the job before and put a write up of it on here or on the Aussie site.
        Mike G

Comment

Working...
        X