Timing belt gone bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt gone bang

I just had the timing belt snap on the way home from work tonight.
    Got recovered by the local garage and they are going to have a look at what’s gone wrong on Monday morning.
    Apart from bending the valves is there anything else that could be damaged.
    Has anyone else had this happen and what did it cost to get put right.
    It’s a 2.4 manual, as soon as it went I hit the clutch and rolled to a stop, didn’t hear anything clattering or banging but just wondered if I could have damaged anything else.

Originally posted by Granville
    I just had the timing belt snap on the way home from work tonight.
    Got recovered by the local garage and they are going to have a look at what’s gone wrong on Monday morning.
    Apart from bending the valves is there anything else that could be damaged.
    Has anyone else had this happen and what did it cost to get put right.
    It’s a 2.4 manual, as soon as it went I hit the clutch and rolled to a stop, didn’t hear anything clattering or banging but just wondered if I could have damaged anything else.
    Lots can be damaged but you may be lucky. No way of telling until you start to dismantle. I've seen pics of a cam smashed into pieces after a belt went.

Nev

Comment

warning

Was there any indication at all, or did it just go on you.

Comment

did it make a lot of noise?...
        depending if it's snapped, stripped teeth etc.

if it's a snap then more than likely you'll have bent valves and nice circular dents in the pistons at best.

if it's stripped teeth, then depending on how far out it moved, then it could be that the timing id just too far out to start and a new belt will cure it!.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          Lots can be damaged but you may be lucky. No way of telling until you start to dismantle. I've seen pics of a cam smashed into pieces after a belt went.

Nev
          Garrage has just phoned to let me know the bad news, valves have gone cam is dammaged needs new head, cam and valves they quoted about £2000 for the job so looks like its a s$$$$er unless i can get another head.

@showdown, no indication at all, was doing about 45mph and just lost power.

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html

Comment

Just had a look at that thanks do you know anyone who has used them?

Comment

Oh about 85% of people on this forum who have needed new cylinder heads.

Stevo's cylinder heads are the genuine modified heads, fit one and you'll have no more worries.

Comment

Working...
                X