Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke at night

Just wanted to check if im just parnoid

My 2.4 seems to have what looks like grey smoke in vehicles behind headlights at night when at full throttle and then clears im wondering if its really black smoke.

During the day when its light i have black smoke at full throttle for a brief moment and then clears.

the car is not using any coolant a little oil about half a litre every 2 months

the oil pressure sits at the 1/3 mark at idle and the 3/4 mark at cruising at 65-70mph

the temp gauge sits just under the half way mark when engine is up to running temp

Just wanted to check the car is normal and its me worrying for nothing

Cheers

Steve
    They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

That greyish looking smoke is entirely normal at night.

As for the little puff of black smoke under hard accelleration - have you changed air and diesel filters recently? It is always worth blocking off the EGR valve too.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
      That greyish looking smoke is entirely normal at night.

As for the little puff of black smoke under hard accelleration - have you changed air and diesel filters recently? It is always worth blocking off the EGR valve too.
      Cheers mate

Its due for a service in just over a month i just may do it early

Comment

Ive done the EGR valve mod by disconnecting the pipe bending it over and putting a cable tie on it.

Ive noticed that the car does seem to black smoke a hell of a lot less and all seems normal with the temp.

does disconneting the EGR valve have and bad effect on the internals as i know that the idea of the EGR is to reduce combustion temps to reduce NOx for the japanese vehicle emissions test.

But as the 2.4 2LTE engine is know for cracking its head is it worth leaving the EGR connected to help prevent this from happening or if the head cracked would the chance be it would have cracked anyway reguardless of the EGR conneted / disconneted?

Cheers

Steve

Comment

phew... not just me then!

i've also noticed smoke in the rear view mirror at night, as the headlights of the car behind pick it up. only ever under heavy acceleration though, and never when cruising normally. I also get the same oil temp readings....

... glad to know it's normal! I've been paranoid about the head going, but i'm not losing any coolant and the oil consumption isn't a concern.
          I got me a new Surf baby yeah!

Comment

Working...
          X