Advice please, seriously miffed off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please, seriously miffed off

I recently had my front pulley replaced as it was making a squealing noise. When I went to pick my suff up the mechanic had just finished the job off and topped up the anti-freeze. The next day my heater would not get warm so I called in to the garage on the way home and it had to have a further 4 litres of water in the system, since that day I am constantly topping the system up.

Prior to the rad being removed for the pulley replacement I never had a problem with the heating system/water system, and in 20k it never went wrong, now everyday I am topping the water up other wise it over heats.

I am ment to be taking it into a different garage on saturday but wondered if anybody had had a similar problem, without doom merchants saying the head is gone.

Does the water system have a bleeding procedure when it is filled up that you have to follow otherwise you get air locks and this problem occurs.

I just can't see the head going the same time the bottom pulley is replaced. The vehicle went into the garage without a problem and has come out like this, I am that annoyed that I can not even bring myself to confront the mechanic, I just want nothing more to do with him in relation to my surf. See previous post.......

Cheers, feel better for the rant.

Going picking up my mini engine on saturday, better get some cream as my bum will be sore after paying for that!
    If it works ok then you need to modify it.

Sorry it is a 2.4 Diesel LN130 H reg, 60k on clock full serv history

Comment

dunno why i even attempt to answer these questions, cause i ain't got a clue what i'm talking about

however, looking at your previous post, (the oop north mechanic one, not the fancy dress in a goat costume joke), the symptoms you describe sound a little familiar..you say the temperature needle acted erratically after the radiator had been refilled? other posts regarding this issue seem to suggest an airlock, (something to do with the heater matrix being higher than the radiator cap)..is it possible that the mechanic didn't have both, (mines only got front, but i believe rear is common), heaters fully on, whilst filling? yeah, you wouldn't know, and if you asked him, not that you will, he'll say "of course"..

now you say you are having to top up regularly, and you made mention of having overheated your vehicle...worse case scenario, overheating cracked the head, but lets not dwell on that..i'm making no assumptions about your understanding of these things, other than your knowledge is probably much greater than mine, so i guess you tried topping up with the heater/s on, squeezing the pipes with the rad cap off, removing the pipes to the matrix, topping up through them?

Comment

sounds like an airlock, make sure both heaters are open (set to hot). From stone cold take off rad cap and check level, also check expansion bottle, only holds a couple of inches of coolant. Top up under rad cap as required, start engine giving a couple of good blips on the loud pedal. Turn off and check level again, repeat until coolant doesn't require topping up.
        Take it for a short drive and check levels again, check levels for a few days in case anymore air moves.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Cheers for advice. My drive points downwards so decided to turn surf around so bonnet was hiher thn rear etc. Reversing down drive and BUGGER!!!! Have a dwarf wall and have sheared to top soilder course off about 10ft long by nudging it with my towbracket. MMMMM rebuild needed this weeked, was on my list of things to do this summer, not this weekend.

Did as you described and took cap off and blipped the load pedal a couple of times with both heater on and water lavel has not changed, tried it 4 or 5 times, put cap on did it again and when removing cap water gushed out for a split second.

Going to drive to work now (about 10miles) will check water level when I get to work (after it has cooled of course) otherwise it will be the john travolta shaky hand dance around the bonnet.

Again, cheers for advice and it is going to garage in morning, didn't want to seam more of a numpty than I allready feel. Will do the same again before I drive home and lets see what happens.

Comment

Definitely sounds like an air lock problem. After re-fitting my rad, I connected the top rad hose to the thermostat housing first then lifted the radiator end of the hose up so it could be filled with coolant then re-fitted the hose to the rad. then started the engine with the rad cap off and topped up as requiered.
            Also, make sure there is enough coolant in the expansion bottle to submerge the end of the overflow tube so it dosen't suck in any more air.

Comment

Humph, went to the guy in Bury today and he said he doubts its an air lock, he is however going to flush my system of all liguid, and refill it on wednesday, he doubts it will do anything but it will illiminate the airlock theory I suppose.

Beginning to get me down this.

On the bright side , I have ordered a new set of rear springs because I am sick of driving looking up into the sky and a 1.5inch body lift kit.

Arrives Monday, so may fit it the springs and kit monday night.

Anybody got a pic of these full length roof bar thingies! Full length roof racks are a bit to expensive for me!

Comment

The Smurf went back to the garage where the original work was carried out today and he has a bit of a bloke who comes in after his day job and he stated that he had found a leak on one of the pipes, sorted it out and put a new thermastat in it and it should be ok.

I am down London on the Train tomorrow but will give it a good test on Wednesday and let you know.

Good news is the body lift kit and new rear spings came today. Whopeeeeee. Gonna fit em at weekend and pimp my ride.

Comment

sounds good mate - at least your getting somewhere now.
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dickspanner
                    The Smurf went back to the garage where the original work was carried out today and he has a bit of a bloke who comes in after his day job and he stated that he had found a leak on one of the pipes, sorted it out and put a new thermastat in it and it should be ok.

I am down London on the Train tomorrow but will give it a good test on Wednesday and let you know.

Good news is the body lift kit and new rear spings came today. Whopeeeeee. Gonna fit em at weekend and pimp my ride.

Which bit?????

Comment

Lol

That reminds me of a red head I went out with last week, no body just a head.

Comment

I'm a happy bunny again!

Well guys and gals, the smuft has now covered over 1000 miles since the bloke sorted it out and the temp gauge has never sniffed over 1mm below to middle. Huraar...... I can take off my mitchelin outfit as the heater is toasty warm.

The bloke who goofed it up in the first place told me to leave it with him one day and found that a pipe had been incorrectly fitted (e.g. Leaking) and he sorted it out.

Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Thanks for all suggestions and advice and contact numbers etc.

Going to fit my new rear springs now and body lift kit, easy tiger...Grrrrrr

Cheers again guy

Dickspanner

Oh, heres one for you, I have now seen two surfs in my area, both look exactly the same as mine, colour badges etc and one is one digit out on the plate and the other is three digits, bit spooky!!!!!

Comment

You've been looking at your reflection in shop windows again haven't you.

Comment

Working...
                          X