Cracked Head 2L-T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Head 2L-T

I am trying to find some advice on head replacement.
    I am in NZ. I have a recently puchased 89' Hilux surf SSR Limited with
    2L-T motor. I didn't know about the heads cracking on jap imports.
    the car is in very good condition otherwise (133,000 Klms) The car has been on the road in NZ for 7 years. I have known someone with the same motor in a 88' Landcruser and it ran 15 years no problems, so I figured they are good motors. Maybe mine was abused.

Anyhow after I had exausted all other options re. overheating (loosing coolant though overflow, subsequent overheating) no sign of water in exaust ?. I removed the head to find a crack on number 4 beetween the valves also blocked coolant gallery, probable cause of crack. this moter was still used for a few years I guess, because of the bad corrosion to head and cylinder wall.

I not sure what to do, because I can fix the bore with a first oversize piston on number 4 the others are OK, but if I get another second hand reco head it will crack again in a few months. I have been told REPCO can supply a new one for $1300 (about 400 pounds sterling)

My big question is, does anyone know if these heads are thicker and better made or are they just the same.

Apart from the cracking thing, as another contributer said "It's the best car I've ever owned"

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum.
    There was a design fault on some of the heads, the waterways were to near the valve guides and did indeed crack. There was local recall on these but as with all imports you don't get any service history etc.
    The new heads have been redesigned, its not worth getting a recon head or getting one stitched/repaired they will simply go again.
    Only way to go is get a NEW head get it fitted with new stretch bolts gaskets etc and enjoy many more happy miles with your motor.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Patterson
      I didn't know about the heads cracking on jap imports.
      Sorry its trivial I know but that is misworded - jap imports in general dont suffer this, its the 2LT&E heads on these imported surfs

Comment

Hi Robert,

Toyota NZ should be able to supply brand new head, gasket set, thermo, water pump, cambelt for about NZ$ 1200. Your old valves should be fine. Have the cooling system properly checked and a radiator service. Use plenty of good antifreeze. Muzz(Nelson)

Comment

Thanks for info, much appreciated.
          Rad has had top off and checked for crud, water pump been off. therm, cap replaced and flushed for africa. To my dismay didn't fix my problem.
          Block on floor now, number 4 needs piston and rebore, while I do this over new year, I will be finding a new head, I almost paid for $1297 to REPCO last night for an 'as cast', but thought I can afford to wait till I've got the block completed. Following your advice I'll try Toyota NZ.

Comment

have you tried lineside automotive (the hilux and surf wreckers, also do new parts) might be worth a crack!................sorry, too hard to resist that one. www.hiluxparts.co.nz
            jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
            1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

how do spot if you have one of these head (before they crack)

Comment

not sure if you can, as I don't have a new one yet to compare with.
                Maybe the number stamped under rocker cover lip at front left is a clue.
                on my 89 2L-T the number is 2222. I don't know what the new one's have stamped there, someone with a shiny new head may help or someone with a new head and the rocker cover off.

Comment

my surf is nown as a LN130 is this the type with the dodgy heads ?

Comment

Originally posted by birdy
                    my surf is nown as a LN130 is this the type with the dodgy heads ?
                    Yes. LN130 is 2.4TD 2nd Gen. KZN130 is 3.0 TD second Gen. KZN185 is 3.0 TD second gen.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      Yes. LN130 is 2.4TD 2nd Gen. KZN130 is 3.0 TD second Gen. KZN185 is 3.0 TD second gen.

Cheers

As Andy says yes it is, but it doesn't mean your head is going to crack. There are plenty of people who have this model and have not had their heads crack yet. It didn't apply to all 2.4's so don't start panicking thinking you have had it.
                      There is a list of so called recalled models but I don't think this list is very accurate, mine wasn't on the list but the head did crack, its a 13 year old motor after all.
                      It hasn't and won't put me off buying another one, read some other 4x4 forums, pajero , landies etc all motor's have some sort of problem. This is the surf's but only the ones with the bad design of head. If your head dont go then you will have endless enjoyable motoring, if it goes then you need a new one but then its enjoyable motoring from then on in.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by lucky

Cheers
                        Correction KZN185 is 3.0TD third gen .

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                          Correction KZN185 is 3.0TD third gen .
                          Caught me on my Typo there Andy. Meant to write 3rd gen and thought I had.
                          Doh!!!

Cheers

Comment

This will be a conclusion to my cracked head saga, abate somewhat delayed, cos of Xmas.

Here in NZ ppl generally don't go back to work till the 12th, which meant I couldn't do much till then.

In my previous posts I mentioned cylinder damage, as it turned out the block was already on maximum oversize, so I had to get another block, second hand. Although this was water damaged as well, but was a virgin, so a maximum bore out fixed it.

So into the mix throw 4 new pistons (after-market)
                            And although not needed, new shells all round for good measure.
                            The old valves were OK after a regrind, and of course a brand new head from Toyota.

So basically I have a new motor apart from the oil pump and water pump, took for first tentative drive yesterday - It purrs like a kitten with a bowl of cream. Will be running in carefully for the first 1000 klms this week, then all going well back to normal driving.

The costs.
                            Prices include tax.

Full engine gasket set $ 230
                            Head gasket - about $100
                            Head $1180
                            Main bearing shells $80
                            Big end bearing shells $70
                            Cam bearing shells $140
                            Second hand block $200 + re-bore $100 = $300
                            4 new after-market pistons rings and gudgeon $600

Overall, with other bits needed I've spent $3000 on the rebuild, which is 1080 pounds sterling at the current exchange rate.($1000=360 pounds)

(I've already started getting my camping gear together

Also, I'll just ad that as I've had a shiny new Toyota head on the bench next to my cracked one (origin unknown) I could see no discernible difference, they came from the same mould, I can only hope some internal revisions have been made. The number 2222 stamped under the valve cover was still there ( same as old one)
                            If I had the knowledge of how to decipher the different numbers cast into various hiding places around the head, I may be able to come up with a revision date of the casting or something like that. But currently, in answer to a previous post, I cannot discern between the two.

I have been told by the reconditioner man that this cracking fault is not just 2L-T motors, he said it's a very common problem on all the small diesel 4*4's, Nissans, Mitsy's even brand new one's do it. He said ppl tend to over work them, drive them like cars. You often see people in the outside lane overtaking cars up hills towing a reasonable size boat, thraping these poor little engines.

I don't know about that, I think there is enough cast iron to sink a battle ship in one of these heads and its just a design fault.

Comment

Overworked

Hi

Several people have asked why Surfs tend to be ok for 10 years in Japan, and yet the head fails within 2 months of being imported to the UK.

I have a theory that off road use may be a factor. It's clear that most of the Surfs that are shipped across have never been anywhere near mud, because of the excellent condition of the underside. As the Japanese are probably more sensible that us, they have probably just been tootling around - no engine strain.

However, bring them to the UK and the first thing Brits do is drop the car up to its axles in mud and try to tow Landrovers out of ditches. Now if you're cruising on a motorway, with 3000rpm at the engine you might be generating 55bhp - this will give you enough energy to push a brick-shaped, 2 tons of metal through the air at 60pmh.

However, when off road, wading through mud, the engine may be spinning at 3000rpm generating all that energy but only a fraction of the energy is used churning up the mud. The energy has to go somewhere and I guess it gets dumped as heat into the radiator, however, it will surely raise the engine temperature. It's a big radiator and is capable of dumping the heat, but the heat is generated in the engine, specifically in the head. If you now add a weak head design, it may just push the whole thing beyond the failure limit.

I only mention this because I had the misfortune to own a Daihatsu Sportrak a while ago which went through 3 cylinder head gaskets and cylinder heads - and 2 of these calamaties occured following off road days in mud.

Food for thought?

Comment

Working...
                              X