Rear seat release broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear seat release broken

one of my rear seat release thingys that u pull up (the plastic knob), has broken off. Anyone had this problem? there is a screw inside the plastic knob which has broken and that has let it come out. Any suggestions on what to do?

hehehe!! there's a coincidence, mine pulled off this morning! I used some long nosed pliers to pull on the broken shaft inside the seat to release the seat back. I'll look into a repair solution later, 'cos at the moment it's snowing and there's already three inches on the ground!

Comment

Same problem here too. I have been using long nose pliars and have the blood blisters, from where they have slipped off, to prove it. I keep meaning to take the seat back card off to see how long that metal shaft is. If it is a reasonable length I might be able to bodge it by using any knob form the s****py and join it to the old shaft with a piece of electrical connector block.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

The knobs thread onto the wire shaft. It's a spiral type self tapping thread for the plastic knobs. I've heard of a few breaking and believe the wire becomes brittle with age and use. Mine are ok but I did attempt to have a look and remove the wire shaft once with the idea of making some spares but this requires removing some of the seat covering as well as the backing to get proper access so I left it alone.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          The knobs thread onto the wire shaft. It's a spiral type self tapping thread for the plastic knobs. I've heard of a few breaking and believe the wire becomes brittle with age and use. Mine are ok but I did attempt to have a look and remove the wire shaft once with the idea of making some spares but this requires removing some of the seat covering as well as the backing to get proper access so I left it alone.

Nev
          I've managed to break a small fortunes worth of small knobs getting them to in the end I managed to get a set of ford cortina lock knobs from a breakers and used araldite to hold the buggers in place. So far so good!!
          I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Comment

I got some inch diameter nylon rod, turned it down to pretty much the right dimensions and shape as the original, drilled a small hole up the shaft (oo-err misses!), and screwed em on.

This way, I could make sure they were very secure on the spike, and so far, they've been good as gold!!

Might have to see if I've got any rod left, make some more and dish a few out!!!!
            It just does, OK?

Comment

One of mine has broken off. All i do is use a screw driver to access the catch from the side of the seat, lift it and bobs you mother's brother, you dont even need the thing on top !!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaiZX
                One of mine has broken off. All i do is use a screw driver to access the catch from the side of the seat, lift it and bobs you mother's brother, you dont even need the thing on top !!!
                mine operates with a peice of shoelace with a duffle coat button tied to it

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                  I got some inch diameter nylon rod, turned it down to pretty much the right dimensions and shape as the original, drilled a small hole up the shaft (oo-err misses!), and screwed em on.

This way, I could make sure they were very secure on the spike, and so far, they've been good as gold!!

Might have to see if I've got any rod left, make some more and dish a few out!!!!
                  I have one knob, which I have to swap over. If you set up in production i'll have a couple

Comment

Same has happened to mine , is the rod threaded both ends, i dont want to try unscrewing it fron the mechanism end if its not threaded??
                    thanks

Comment

I re thread the wire, then fitted some aluminium ones that bushwhacker gave me while ago
                      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Working...
                      X