What fluid for 2.4 autobox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fluid for 2.4 autobox?

When I replaced the head a while ago some of the ATF fluid leaked out (just a little bit) when I removed the rad, but seeing as the gearbox-dipstick still showed an OK level I never got around to topping it up, but I probably should do it at some point, so I'll do it now.

So, what sort of fluid do I need for a 2.4 SSR Ltd?

The stuff that came out was bright red - is it some special jap or Toyota fluid? The car was imported just a few years ago I believe.

If the fluid is bright red, then it's fine. For topping up, just buy a bottle of auto transmission fluid. I buy Duckhams Dextron III fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      If the fluid is bright red, then it's fine. For topping up, just buy a bottle of auto transmission fluid. I buy Duckhams Dextron III fluid.
      Cool, thanks, I'll get some tomorrow.

I was a bit suprised when I took the rad pipes off and red blood started coming out

Comment

Do you check and top up Vince? Does your truk "use" ATF? I never checked an auto box (had about 10 autos) unless the change was sluggish and expect they will just go on and on unless they become hot and the ATF gets burned.

Al.
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

I had to top mine up when I took the rad out last year and didn't plug the pipes properly. Had a blood red puddle under the truck in the morning! Only lost about half a litre though.

Comment

I had to top mine up when I took the rad out last year and didn't plug the pipes properly. Had a blood red puddle under the truck in the morning! Only lost about half a litre though.

Nice! I am used to puddles (albeit of the antifreeze kind) following my recent leak. At least its getting fixed tomorrow. Just a hose or clip on the thermo housing. Cheeky garage want me to pay for the antifreeze if they do the job for free!!!!!
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Working...
            X