Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil

Is there a guideline on how much oil the 2.4 engine uses on average, I've done about 1500 miles and have just had to put 4 litres in! Seems excessive to me!

Originally posted by speedin southwest
    Is there a guideline on how much oil the 2.4 engine uses on average, I've done about 1500 miles and have just had to put 4 litres in! Seems excessive to me!
    have you got an oil leak seems very excessive to me

Comment

Christ mate!!!! They only take about 7 litres from empty. I would find leak and/or top up more often. There is definately a mojor problem though.
      Good luck

Comment

Have you got a lot of blue smoke belching out the exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Have you got a lot of blue smoke belching out the exhaust?
          No, wondering if the crank seal may be leaking, no pools of oil or clouds of smoke, ****** wierd!

Comment

You may have put 4 litres in over 1500 miles but it may not have used that much! (It could have been really empty!) Check whether any oil is leaking from underneath the engine. If it`s that much being "burnt" by the engine you would notice the bluey clouds behind you! Mine uses about a pint every 1000km but it is a 1987 model. More if at prolonged motorway speeds. I once had new company Isuzu KB pick-up and the manual stated the engine used approx. 1 litre every couple of 1000 km`s. Some mechanics say it`s good to burn a little but hey, 4 litres a time is not cricket!
            cheers,
            chris
            Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Defo something leaking, as have now found oil underneath, not loads but definately a cause for concern. Off into the garage tomorrow to see if they can fathom it out. Standby for huge bill!

Comment

Well, thankfully it's not all doom and gloom. Small leak from rocker and a leak from underneath somewhere - can't remember now, nothing major anyways so hopefully clear this up next week. Phew!

Comment

Well, thankfully it's not all doom and gloom. Small leak from rocker and a leak from underneath somewhere - can't remember now, nothing major anyways so hopefully clear this up next week. Phew!
                  I was told that the small leak I have is due to worn piston rings and that they let the oil blow from the breather pipe, one of the guys on here was going to fit an oil catch tank (as they do on rally cars etc) but I have no idea how that panned out.
                  I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Comment

i have fitted a catch tank in the form of a Mer bottle. Mainly because if the oil residue in air intake pipes. been on for a year ish and works a treat as I had to take off one of the pipes other day and it was spottless. Mine uses quite a bit of oil but it has got a leak around the edge of head/manifold. Cost to repair against that of the oil makes a regular top up. Did similar om my previous car with a CVH engine as it was prone to condensation in the rocker cover (wasn't head) used to get rid of a load of **** that would normally end up back in the air filter.

Can post a pic later but it aint pretty but is effective.

Steve
                    Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Pic would be ideal mate!

Comment

Have a look here...
                        http://www.hiluxsurf.net/index1.htm
                        Click on Mods, then engine then scroll down to bottom of the page.

You can buy catch tanks here if you want some 'bling' under your hood!

http://www.nfauto.co.uk/oil_catch_tank.htm

Comment

Blimey, they look tidy, might just give one of them a go

Comment

Working...
                          X