yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan running all time is this normal??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan running all time is this normal??????

Help me guys,
    The cooling system has just recently been flushed out and all seems well even replaced the rad cap but still takes ages to get warm.
    I think i have just found out why though ,
    The fan on my LN130 seemes to run from first start to switching ignition off or is this normal as i thought it was tipical of all surf's
    Regards
    Kev.
    2.4 black beast

If its the electric fan this is not normal check to see if one of these wires has come off 1st
    Attached Files
    Last edited by marky; 9 February 2006, 14:37.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

I've Pulled the Fan Switch off on mine Marky - Saw this done When Fraser overheated at Barton.. Thought it was better to have the leccy fan on all the time to aid cooling on the 2.4's Is this a mod best left for summer.. I dont think it can do any damage to have the engine "cooler" all the time.... can it??

EDIT: ... Oh yeah, I know you shouldn't "race" the engine untill its warmed up a bit... but i though about 1/4 on the temp guage would be ok??
      Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Re

Do some vehicles have an electric fan and some have a viscous fan then?

I seem to have a viscous fan only!

Is this normal or should I have an electric one somewhere as well?

Apologies for my stupidity!

Gary

Comment

Look through the grille on the front of your truck and you should see the electric fan on the radiator next to the drivers side headlight.

Comment

Re

ok!

Any chance of a pic of it in location please?

Does this fan "cut in" at a specific temp?

Hard to notice because the viscous fan is buzzing all the time!

Gary

Comment

Don't have any pics sorry... if you look through the grill as Vince says you should be able to see it... if you stood at the front of the truck, facing the windscreen it will be left of centre... It is black in colour and probably q2uite hard to see... try shining a torch through the grill and you'll see it.

Yes the one at the front does only kick in at a certain temprature - This is the electric Fan and runs off the Switch shown on Marky's picture. If the Fan Switch has been disconected then it will run all the time.

If you are reffering to the large white fan on hte engine side or the Rad then this will run permanantly as soon as the engine is started. It runs off belts.

The electric fan has 2 functions as far as i know, 1, to aid cooling when the main fan cannot cope, 2, to aid cooling when you shut down the engine. This will keep a breeze flowing through the rad even when the engine is off. you can sometime hear it runnung for a few minutes after turning off the engine.
              Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

my fan run all the time when i first bought truck.....
                ..... turned out to be connection had come off.....
                ... see pics above on previous posts... its the one on the left....
                ...carl....
                gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

dont think all trucks have the electric fan - my UK runner only has the engine driven fan
                  Landcruiser Colorado
                  Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                    dont think all trucks have the electric fan - my UK runner only has the engine driven fan
                    Nah, my old 4Runner didn't have one, It's a Surf thing for those hot Japan summer days in Tokyo traffic.

On trucks with aircon rad in front of the main rad, the fan also cools the aircon rad, and comes on when the aircon is switched on.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

In theory, the way to test the functionality of this fan is to "disconnect" the sender from the thermostat housing, then the fan should come on?

Is this the case?

Gary
                      Last edited by hellmett; 9 February 2006, 21:14.

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
                        I theory the way to test the functionality of this fan is to "disconnect" the sender from the thermostat housing, then the fan should come on?

Is this the case?

Gary
                        Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112

If you are reffering to the large white fan on hte engine side or the Rad then this will run permanantly as soon as the engine is started. It runs off belts.
                          This is the one i was refering to (damn it)
                          That blows that idea then why it takes such a long time to heat the cab up.

It's roughly taking around 15mins driving at about 60mph from work to home and its only just blowing warm is this norm guys or am i expecting too much i don't have any other surf owners around here to compare notes with
                          Regards
                          Kev.
                          2.4 black beast

Comment

Sounds like your thermostat is either stuck open or is missing. Fit a new one anyway, always a good idea.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...thermostat.htm

Comment

Originally posted by falconer
                              This is the one i was refering to (damn it)
                              That blows that idea then why it takes such a long time to heat the cab up.

It's roughly taking around 15mins driving at about 60mph from work to home and its only just blowing warm is this norm guys or am i expecting too much i don't have any other surf owners around here to compare notes with
                              Its to long, Most trucks warm pretty quickly, especially under load, you've either got a plugged matrix, or like vince said, the stat is missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X