Another noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another noise!

After a drive at the weekend down to London (aprx 100 miles), the truck was started the following day from cold and a funny 'tinkling' (tinny/squeaky) noise emerged from the engine. It gets less as the engine warms up. I'm sure it's not the bottom pulley, as read in previous threads. The only source I can think of is the air con unit casing because thats where the noise seems to be coming from - I guess it's not helped by the fact that it's being driven by a loose belt. Is there any adjustment available on this particular belt?

My alternator makes that noise sometimes, but the belt is o.k. so I sprayed WD40 behind the pulley and it went quiet, so I guess it's just a dry bearing in the alternator.

Comment

Oiled alternator and air com pump which thankfully quietened down a small idling noise, but upon leaving work the louder tinkling/grating noise reappeared. From inside the vehicle it seems to be coming from the passenger footwell area. Got a mile or so down the road and it stopped, then a couple of miles later I pulled hard out of a junction and it started again. I backed off the throttle, it carried on for about 100yds then stopped. It doesn't get louder with revs, but seems to stop when you back off. Could this be anything to do with the auto box? I haven't done a hot test on transmission fluid levels yet, but on cold all seems fine.
      Any help greatly appreciated- going to London again on Friday!! Den.

Comment

Working...
      X