Head |Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head |Gaskets

Jeremy Clarkson said on the telly that Hilux are indestructable so I baught one. Sure enough after a couple of months all the water has gone and white smoke comes out of the exhaust. There is also a stream of bubbles coming out of the overflow pipe into the expansion bottle. Checked the site & it seems that every surf blows gaskets /heads on a regular basis. Does anyone know what causes it and more important what should we all do to stop it reoccurring. The car is a '91 2.4 turbo and it has already had at least 1 replacement engine. Am I wasting my time and hard earned trying to fix it. Help Please.

See!!! this is why im so damn paranoid!!

Sorry mate, im no expert mechanically, but if you wana go halves on some therapy let me know! Good luck....

Comment

Originally posted by Tonto
      Jeremy Clarkson said on the telly that Hilux are indestructable so I baught one. Sure enough after a couple of months all the water has gone and white smoke comes out of the exhaust. There is also a stream of bubbles coming out of the overflow pipe into the expansion bottle. Checked the site & it seems that every surf blows gaskets /heads on a regular basis. Does anyone know what causes it and more important what should we all do to stop it reoccurring. The car is a '91 2.4 turbo and it has already had at least 1 replacement engine. Am I wasting my time and hard earned trying to fix it. Help Please.
      The waterways on the original head was too close to the valve seat area MODIFIED heads are now thicker in that area.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

what i have read about on here about the 2.4's is that it is mainly the earlier one's that suffer with the heads going as there was a design fault with the heads which was modified on the later 2.4's.you can buy the modified heads from tonyn or stevo from the link under any of marky's post,but like any vehicle you get can have problems.I have had my 2.4 for not far off 2yrs now and not had any trouble(touch wood)
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Mine went a year last August £££ but it was money well spent
          Im still smiling!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

I bought mine after I saw that Top Gear and when I told people I was getting one they gave me that enviramentalist claptrap I showed 'em the episode. That shut em up!

I've had mine almost 4 months and it's fine(touch wood)
            I remain, as always,

Gonzo

Comment

Checked the site & it seems that every surf blows gaskets /heads on a regular basis. Does anyone know what causes it and more important what should we all do to stop it reoccurring. The car is a '91 2.4 turbo and it has already had at least 1 replacement engine. Am I wasting my time and hard earned trying to fix it. Help Please.
              They don't blow on a regular basis, if you fix it properly it doesn't do it again. If its had one replacment engine it can't have been a very good one.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
              X