Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration - Any Suggestions?

Hi

Right, this is gonna be difficult to explain so please bear with me!!

The truck is vibrating excessivly - at tickover its normal - feels fine, the vibration starts at about 1250rpm gets to its worst at 1500rpm, eases off at 1750rpm and has gone by 2000rpm. Anything above this is fine.

It is not speed related, it the same if I put it in park or neutral.

When driving it feels as if its the engine vibrating, as if its not bolted to the chassis securly, when I got home last night I had the bonnet up and her in doors on the accellarator. When doing this it sounded like it was coming from underneath the truck rather than the engine bay, somewhere between the engine and transmission.

The vibration is that bad it makes the rear view miror and steering wheel vibrate like you wouldn't believe (she was getting quite excited in the drivers seat! )

I am thinking it could be a UJ in the propshaft??

any other sugestions as to what to look for / tighten / replace are appreciated - I will be having a goos look at it on Sunday!

Many Thanks

Joe
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

wouldn't be a prop UJ if it also does it in P and N

something with the flywheel / torque converter perhaps??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i thought the prop spins all the time between the enginebay and transmission - the transmission engages and disengages when you change gear sending power to the axels??

I take it i'm wrong then! - nothin new there!!

any more suggestions?

i could do with as many things to check as poss - gooing from past experience its never the easiest or most simple or the 1st idea for that matter!!

Cheers Matt

Joe

Comment

the gearbox is bolted straight on the back of the engine... then the prop comes out the back of that...

can't remember if there's a small prop before the transfer case or not on a surf.
        but then the 2 main props for forward and back from the transfer case.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

a longshot, but could your exhaust be touching your floorpan/ chassis anywhere ?? worth a look, maybe ???

carl.....
          gettin coooooler... and dark....

Comment

will check for exhaust andf things rattling on sunday... was a bit dark last night to see much - also it doesn't look to good lying under the truck in a suit and tie!

Matt - Can you point me in the direction of the Torque convertor and Flywheel and what to look for

Cheers

Joe

Comment

Maybe the harmonic balancer? Engine mounts broken and engine touching chassis?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Maybe the harmonic balancer? Engine mounts broken and engine touching chassis?

Where do i look for that then???

Thats exactly what it sounds like.. Would it be near the front foot wells.... thats the best i can tel where its comin from

Comment

Working...
                X