Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

hi peeps,
    any help here would be great as i know nothing about engines but am fully aware of the head probs on 2.4s..heres the story ever since i had my oil and filter changed last year ive had a very small oil leak,took it back and had the filter nipped up but still had the leak i put this down to my not using a funnel to top up and spilling..doh..anyways just had it motd and passed but the mechanic said he thinks mayb the head is leaking oil but never had leak b4 change last year..also he said there was alot of pressure in water hoses and suggested i have the engine steamed and take back for a better look..i have had no prblems with over heating or anything else...should i b worried about the head going or is it mayb summut else..once again i turn to the more knowledgeable folk for advice thx again.

Originally posted by reefer
    hi peeps,
    any help here would be great as i know nothing about engines but am fully aware of the head probs on 2.4s..heres the story ever since i had my oil and filter changed last year ive had a very small oil leak,took it back and had the filter nipped up but still had the leak i put this down to my not using a funnel to top up and spilling..doh..anyways just had it motd and passed but the mechanic said he thinks mayb the head is leaking oil but never had leak b4 change last year..also he said there was alot of pressure in water hoses and suggested i have the engine steamed and take back for a better look..i have had no prblems with over heating or anything else...should i b worried about the head going or is it mayb summut else..once again i turn to the more knowledgeable folk for advice thx again.

my knowledge of engines is probably no greater than your's..but, it appears there are different issues here. firstly, excess pressure in the hoses would usually be indicative of exhaust gasses escaping into the cooling system..this being the case, the guys with cracked heads have often reported seeing these gasses bubbling up through the coolant in the expansion bottle..there may also be signs of froth..there might be signs of water in the oil, or oil in the water, all these symptoms can easily be checked by yourself..pressure testing the system would give you a definite diagnosis..

the oil filter on the 3ltr channels oil out at a point near the sump bung, i believe the 2:4 differs..i'm assuming the leak is around the filter area, and obviously unrelated to the sump washer..i tighten my filter by hand, and never had a leak, therefore if its been propely tightened, it may point to something else, or if you are adamant that the leak started just after the filter change, could it be that the filter has been cross-threaded, or not seating properly? maybe time for another filter change, just to see?

if the leak is from the head, then it points to a failed gasket, or the head bolts not tightened down correctly? i do seem to recall minor leaks eminating from one of the bolts not being particulary uncommon, or indeed cause for concearn..in fact, i've a very minor leak around one of mine, back toward the bulkhead..i've never thought to adress it..but it is a different engine..

sorry about the question marks at the end of every sentence..i'm sort of thinking through it too..i'm sure someone in the know will amble along soon.

Comment

Working...
    X