Fluctuating Temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluctuating Temperature?

Ive a 2.4t Surf and the temperature gauge is fluctuating from perfect temp up to red then back again when driving or idling? Please dont tel me its the head!!!!

Re-new your thermostat first of all and see if that sorts it. Also you could have an air-lock in the cooling system.
    How long have you had your truck? are you the first U.K. owner?

Oh, and Hi newbie!

Comment

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER]Re-new your thermostat first of all and see if that sorts it. Also you could have an air-lock in the cooling system.
      How long have you had your truck? are you the first U.K. owner?

thanks for swift reply - im not the first uk owner and its the first bleedin day ive owned it! been searching for a good un and thought id found it! Looks like im payin ghte dealer another visit then eh...

Comment

Try filling the water with the engine running, do you get lots of bubbling?
        if you get water being pumped into the over flow bottle welcome to the cracked head club...Time to visit the dealer with a claim,?

Comment

Thanks I'll try it tomorrow - ive just had to go out in it again and ive noticed when the temp gauge is high no warm air comes through the heater - yet when it dropped we had warm air again. Is this a classic syndrome of something - it sounds lie it ought to be? And i just know ive got a cracked head really, i spose im looking for an alternative!!!!

Comment

sounds like an airlock problem mate
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

airlock sounds a lot better than a new head - Is it easy enought to do yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by smadamij
                airlock sounds a lot better than a new head - Is it easy enought to do yourself?
                With the engine cold and heater(s) set to hot, take off the radiator cap. Start the engine and either get someone to rev for you or rev up on the throttle linkeage. As you rev up you may see the coolant level drop. Top up. Keep the engine running and occasionally blip the throttle, squeezing the radiator hoses. When the thermostat opens you may see the level drop again. If it does just top up a little more. Make sure that the header tank is topped up. Take the motor for a drive (any excuse to get behind the wheel) Allow engine to cool and check levels again. Job done.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X