Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why the leak

hello people

i have a 2.4 1993 surf i had the termo stat, water pump, t-belt, rad cap all changed a couple of months ago as well as a presure test and everything was ok, i now have a coolant leak it drips down both sides of the bottom of the engine when idling, or stopped or turned off after a run, it's ok when driving. i have no white smoke no oily water no temp rise all normal, if it's a leaky or loose pipe where and what do i look for. if it's not, any words from the wise would be a big advantage.

thanks in advance

paul b
    (not mechanicaly very minded)

Possibly the pressure test has made one of the hoses leak. Would check all the hoses, although its running off both sides of the bottom of the engine it could be tracking down from anywhere. Just see if you can trace where its running down from.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

hello again

i filled the rad again before went out for a run came back and the leaking seems to be coming more from the drivers side the fluid is cold, is this good or bad.

regards

paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul b
        hello again

i filled the rad again before went out for a run came back and the leaking seems to be coming more from the drivers side the fluid is cold, is this good or bad.

regards

paul

could be good if its only your screen wash leaking somewhere, then if its your coolant its a bad thing. You really need to trace the leak to find its source.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

hello

i traced the leak (i think) it's coming from the bottom of the rad where the pipe joins it, if this is the leak why would it be cold after a long run when the water in the rad is hot, filled up yesterday tried to get all the air out and no leaks today.

thanks
          paul

Comment

is it that the water in the TOP of the radiator is hot, but much cooler at the bottom? the bottom hose on mine never really gets hot, which i just put down to the effectiveness of the radiator.
            Last edited by mickey; 26 January 2006, 19:03.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
              is it that the water in the TOP of the radiator is hot, but much cooler at the bottom? the bottom hose on mine never really gets hot, which i just put down to the effectiveness of the radiator.

yep all the same bottom of rad will be stone cold, well almost

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Working...
              X