2.4 pump timing marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 pump timing marks

Hi all,I,m installing a timing belt on my 86 2.4 and the manual shows to line up all the marks,tension the belt,rotate the engine .After that the injection pump timing mark should be one tooth to the left.Is this correct or is my info incorrect?Very confusing!!

Yep, to the left, or one tooth anti-clockwise.

Comment

2.4 pump timing marks

Thanks for the quick reply....Now to fire this thing up and see how it runs

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Yep, to the left, or one tooth anti-clockwise.
        eerrrr????? The marks should line up, all the time, after rotating the engine, thats what they are for.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

You what??? How can they line up and then after rotating engine they don't??? It won't start if the lines don't line up because the fuel won't be going in at the right time!!
          Feel free to correct but i'm with Tony on this one.

Comment

Tis true, I recently done a 3.0 belt and after releasing the tensioner, the fuel pump was always a tooth out. So I fitted the belt one tooth before the timing mark, released the tensioner and it lined up o.k.

Anyway the guy has got his truck running now so it must have worked.

Comment

Weird, only have experience of 2.4's.

Comment

I think Vince means this... sometimes its tricky to get the belt to stay on the gears under tension if you don't have the a way of locking the gears in place, if you put the cam pully one tooth out on the belt, when you put the correct tension with the tensioner on the belt it pulls it all into line. But the pully must line up afterwards when you turn the engine over.

Cruiser dude said "after I turn the engine over, should the timing mark be one tooth out" which if deffo not right.

I think vince jumped the gun and though the guy was talking about when fitting the belt, not after its installed.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Errr, yeah! err what Tony said. Phew!
                  Can I have my credibility back now please? or maybe some of it?? mmmm? pwease?? just a widdle bit? maybe? I know where my coat is..........

Comment

Working...
                  X