primer pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• primer pump

have been having trouble with the first start of the day, turn the key and it fires for a second then stops have to wind it over quite a bit till it finaly starts but no smoke from unburnt fuel, the rest of the day it will start no probs. probably getting air in but using primer pump first isn,t making any difference, should the button on top go solid after pumping for a while? mine dosn,t and the metal section the button sits in spins quite freely is that right?

Originally posted by jamsironwork
    have been having trouble with the first start of the day, turn the key and it fires for a second then stops have to wind it over quite a bit till it finaly starts but no smoke from unburnt fuel, the rest of the day it will start no probs. probably getting air in but using primer pump first isn,t making any difference, should the button on top go solid after pumping for a while? mine dosn,t and the metal section the button sits in spins quite freely is that right?

I'm no expert but t sounds like a dodgy pump to me. Fairly sure its supposed to go solid after a few pumps
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
      Well well, I've got the identical problem.

I thought mine was glow plug related so changed them all to no effect.

I've (short term) got around it by turning the ignition on, let glo plug light go out, turn ignition off and back on, then start (holding starter motor on for a just a couple of seconds).

Haven't followed the iffy pump route.

Any answers to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Primer pump "button" should go hard after pumping. If bottom bit is spinning- do you mean the fuel filter?? It could just be that your filter is not tight enough and letting in/out air.

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley
          Primer pump "button" should go hard after pumping. If bottom bit is spinning- do you mean the fuel filter?? It could just be that your filter is not tight enough and letting in/out air.
          Thanks for the responce everyone, no its not the filter spinning just the thin pressed metal section the button sits in. just got some new hose after being very patient with a halfords lad who couldn,t find the metre mark on his tape measure and then didn,t know what i meant by a hose clip lol so going to try that before worrying about a new pump

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
            I thought mine was glow plug related so changed them all to no effect.

I've (short term) got around it by turning the ignition on, let glo plug light go out, turn ignition off and back on, then start (holding starter motor on for a just a couple of seconds).

Regards
            This sounds like the glow plug fuse may have blown? Have you checked it??
            It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
              This sounds like the glow plug fuse may have blown? Have you checked it??
              Hello,

Just checked and the glow plug fuse is fine. Interestingly, there is no relay in the fuse box for the fuel heater - do surfs have fuel heaters fitted?

I think I'll do some checks to find out if there's any air getting into the fuel system because the glow plugs seem OK.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                Hello,

Just checked and the glow plug fuse is fine. Interestingly, there is no relay in the fuse box for the fuel heater - do surfs have fuel heaters fitted?

I think I'll do some checks to find out if there's any air getting into the fuel system because the glow plugs seem OK.

Regards
                Only the Winter Option trucks, if you have a extra plug and wires going to the top of the fuel filter housing and the relay its the proper winter pack.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Only the Winter Option trucks, if you have a extra plug and wires going to the top of the fuel filter housing and the relay its the proper winter pack.
                  Hello,

Just had a look to check - no extra wires so no winter pack.

I'll prime the fuel pump in the morning before I start it up to see if there's any difference - it's nobbling down here at the moment so it'll be a good test.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X