opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions please

had a new head fitted last summer and haven't had many problems...but have noticed very small amount of oil under car every other day although level in oil tank seems okay..took it to local garage(as so scared after engine seized when head went)..they said poss rear oil something and they would have to go in through gear box or take whole engine out and prob not worth doing as seems to be slow leak but I am paranoid that it is my bottom end!!!!as you can tell I am not technical but nervous!!!also funny burning rubber smell sometimes they said that was my power steering belt which they adjusted (for free)but I still think I smell it and hear metal on metal sound when windows are open....what is going on???what would signs of the bottom end going apart from full engine seizure????also have lost my passenger mirror and same side window won't open (garage said need new driver side control motor even though other windows still work £150 does that sound right?)...any answers grateful thanks...

rear crank seal probably, mine used to leak lots but doesnt seem so bad now. gearbox out to fit it but as you say not really worth it as long as you keep it checked.
    where abouts in london are you?
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      rear crank seal probably, mine used to leak lots but doesnt seem so bad now. gearbox out to fit it but as you say not really worth it as long as you keep it checked.
      where abouts in london are you?
      willesden who do you use in london to look at your surf???

Comment

Hi Bowwow

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil leak it's not a sign of anything major, just an oil leak, and if as you say it's only a drop every couple of days then it's very minor (it's amazing how far one drop of oil can spread out on the drive).
        The smell that you describe could be some oil dripping on to the exhaust.
        As for the window, can you hear any noise when you try to operate it, I would try to get a second opinion from a knowledgable friend if you have one as some garages tend to go for the most expensive option just to make the job worthwhile but if it really is the motor I would suspect that that is a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
          Hi Bowwow

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil leak it's not a sign of anything major, just an oil leak, and if as you say it's only a drop every couple of days then it's very minor (it's amazing how far one drop of oil can spread out on the drive).
          The smell that you describe could be some oil dripping on to the exhaust.
          As for the window, can you hear any noise when you try to operate it, I would try to get a second opinion from a knowledgable friend if you have one as some garages tend to go for the most expensive option just to make the job worthwhile but if it really is the motor I would suspect that that is a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.
          thanks feel better no noise actually got stuck open typical but shut now any ideas where to look for a new mirror??seen one on ebay £29.99.

Comment

Originally posted by bowwow
            thanks feel better no noise actually got stuck open typical but shut now any ideas where to look for a new mirror??seen one on ebay £29.99.
            you can try aditives to your engine oil that help soften oil seals it may help.
            as for the windows if like mine it could be broken wires in the harness as they pass from the car body to the door on the drivers side.
            good luck
            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

willesden who do you use in london to look at your surf???
              i use tony in basingstoke from this site quite a bit but thats cos I like to work on the car too.
              stuff I get done here is by RS Motors in Edmonton 020 8345 7170 - tell him Tim gave you his number if you use him.
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Your oil leak may be something simple as the copper washer on the sump drain bolt. They should be replaced after the oil is changed so that it seals the bolt to the sump to stop leaks, but most people don't bother.
                The window motor problem could also be something simple like a broken wire, especially where it passes from the door to the frame near the hinges.
                The metal on metal sound could be brake pads have worn down, (these have wear indicators that rub on to the brake discs.) or CV joint, (more noticable when cornering or turning.) or anti-roll bar bushes. ( the anti-roll bar tends to 'clunk' especially when going over bumpy surfaces)

Comment

had a new head fitted last summer and haven't had many problems...but have noticed very small amount of oil under car every other day although level in oil tank seems okay..took it to local garage(as so scared after engine seized when head went)..they said poss rear oil something and they would have to go in through gear box or take whole engine out and prob not worth doing as seems to be slow leak but I am paranoid that it is my bottom end!!!!as you can tell I am not technical but nervous!!!also funny burning rubber smell sometimes they said that was my power steering belt which they adjusted (for free)but I still think I smell it and hear metal on metal sound when windows are open....what is going on???what would signs of the bottom end going apart from full engine seizure????also have lost my passenger mirror and same side window won't open (garage said need new driver side control motor even though other windows still work £150 does that sound right?)...any answers grateful thanks...
                  If its the rear seal then removing the gearbox is the only real option to replace the seal, depends how bad it gets wether you want to replace it. The only time its trouble is with manual boxes and it contaminating the clutch.

It won't be an indication of engine wear, its only a leak.

It could be dripping on the exhaust, the crossover pipe runs under the box'.

Its a 16 year old deisel, its not gonna be that quiet, but if its getting noiser than you remember keep an eye on the oil pressure and oil consumption.

I've done a few crank seals this year, its not the end of the world. Also I may have a mirror and door window motor if want to save a little cash and buy used ones.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X