rear window mechanism - again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window mechanism - again

Before you ask, yes I have searched the forum. Now I understand that the winder motor is the same on a similar year Carina, Supra or Corolla, but how about the little gear box? This is what I need. I'm a pretty good bodger and it's working - just. Any info greatly appreciated.

The motor/worm drive is all one unit really, a breakers yard won't seperate them.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      The motor/worm drive is all one unit really, a breakers yard won't seperate them.

So the gearbox on the motor from a Carina/Supra/Corolla window winder is also the same?

Comment

Originally posted by cr15
        So the gearbox on the motor from a Carina/Supra/Corolla window winder is also the same?
        Hello,

I think we have the same problem - I've got the panels off the tailgate (which is stuck closed cos the window won't move)

Anyone know how to get the motor gearbox out of the tailgate, or do I have to take the entire mechanism out?

I've attached a pic of the mechanism (well, I think I've attached a pic!)

Thanks
        Attached Files
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
          Hello,

I think we have the same problem - I've got the panels off the tailgate (which is stuck closed cos the window won't move)

Anyone know how to get the motor gearbox out of the tailgate, or do I have to take the entire mechanism out?

I've attached a pic of the mechanism (well, I think I've attached a pic!)

Thanks
          You see the circular disc under the black and brown wires? Well under that are three screws through the large silver looking plate into the back of the gearbox housing of which the circular plate is the cover. The cover can be unclipped and removed so you can see the state of the gearbox. What happens is the circlip holding everything together in there rusts and falls apart after having b******d up the central shaft. This circlip isn't circular, so I have a clip normally used to join the two ends of a M/C chain just holding things together. It's a squeeze but you can get to the screw heads with either a small spanner or 1/4" drive socket. (6,7 or 8 mm I think). Remove those and the box and motor drops out.

Comment

Normally the shaft wears the housing, then the gear dosn't mesh with the regulator properly, if left it will eventually wear all the teeth of the regulator. I've drilled out the housing and put a bush in for a few people.

The motor/gearbox is the same for most models yes, but there are left and right hand outputs for eachh side of the car, make sure you get the right side.

Its far easier to take the whole regulator out and then remove the motor IMHO, the regulator arms under quite a bit tension when you remove the motor, so clamp them together or stick a bolt through one of the holes. Then you can clean and lube everything before putting it back.

Originally posted by cr15
            You see the circular disc under the black and brown wires? Well under that are three screws through the large silver looking plate into the back of the gearbox housing of which the circular plate is the cover. The cover can be unclipped and removed so you can see the state of the gearbox. What happens is the circlip holding everything together in there rusts and falls apart after having b******d up the central shaft. This circlip isn't circular, so I have a clip normally used to join the two ends of a M/C chain just holding things together. It's a squeeze but you can get to the screw heads with either a small spanner or 1/4" drive socket. (6,7 or 8 mm I think). Remove those and the box and motor drops out.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hello,

OK - think there's enough info for me to get on with - thanks for the advice

Regards

Comment

Some more pics to help you.....
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Some more pics to help you.....
                  Thank you Mr. Bushwacker - very kind man!

I'll try to sort it out over the next couple of days.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X