X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to jump start

hi all still probs with the surf

question
    i got the winter pack"twin batterys" as your lookin at the engine front on, which battery should i be puttin the jump leads to " left or right or doesnt it matter " ?and for how long with how many revs on the other car ?

this is the other thread related to this:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19264

zacco

Jump leads should be connected to the battery of the 'donor' vehicle. The 'flat' vehicle should have the positive lead connected to either battery and the negative lead connected to a good bit of metal on the engine block. Revs on the donor vehicle are a bit academic really as the power is coming from the battery and all you are trying to do by revving the engine is put some charge back into the battery. If the donor vehicles battery is no good or if the jump leads aren't big enough (ordinary car type leads are useless) it doesn't matter how fast you rev.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
      Jump leads should be connected to the battery of the 'donor' vehicle. The 'flat' vehicle should have the positive lead connected to either battery and the negative lead connected to a good bit of metal on the engine block. Revs on the donor vehicle are a bit academic really as the power is coming from the battery and all you are trying to do by revving the engine is put some charge back into the battery. If the donor vehicles battery is no good or if the jump leads aren't big enough (ordinary car type leads are useless) it doesn't matter how fast you rev.

in short ." red to red on batterys and each black on each engine block " ?
      zacco

Comment

Here you go..............

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

Comment

Hi All, One word of caution; I busted my alternator (rotor short, regulator fried) by jump starting on the left side. Was stumped by this prob as my guess was as ong as + and - matched battery position did not matter. I connected the jump leads to the donor vehicle battery and the + to the Surf's left batt and - to a ground point on the engine. The engine started but blew the alternator. My reaserch of this blowout found no results untill;

A mate imported a used winter pack Landcruiser from the japs and it too had the dual battery setup like the surf and the left battery had a plastic cover bolted on covering the terminals with a warning sticker that said "Do not jumpstart to this battery, alternator/electrical system damage may occur". There was'nt any other explanation. The japs seem to be aware of this problem.

So my advise is if you have to jump start do so onto the right side battery, but make sure that the donor battery must be a minimum of 500CCA.

Good luck and lett me know what happens.
          LN130 2LTE Auto

Comment

Originally posted by n95k
            Hi All, One word of caution; I busted my alternator (rotor short, regulator fried) by jump starting on the left side. Was stumped by this prob as my guess was as ong as + and - matched battery position did not matter. I connected the jump leads to the donor vehicle battery and the + to the Surf's left batt and - to a ground point on the engine. The engine started but blew the alternator. My reaserch of this blowout found no results untill;

A mate imported a used winter pack Landcruiser from the japs and it too had the dual battery setup like the surf and the left battery had a plastic cover bolted on covering the terminals with a warning sticker that said "Do not jumpstart to this battery, alternator/electrical system damage may occur". There was'nt any other explanation. The japs seem to be aware of this problem.

So my advise is if you have to jump start do so onto the right side battery, but make sure that the donor battery must be a minimum of 500CCA.

Good luck and lett me know what happens.
            Interesting that one as my manual says to jump start from the left battery. Mind you mine is a 24V starting 12V running vehicle. Might be different to the 12V twin battery setup on 12V only LCs.

Comment

Interesting that one as my manual says to jump start from the left battery. Mind you mine is a 24V starting 12V running vehicle. Might be different to the 12V twin battery setup on 12V only LCs.
              Eh? You have a what exactly?

Just wondered!

Tonks

Comment

That's odd because i had heard that they Surfs were 24v start and 12v run, but asked TonyN and he said they were just two 12v batteries in parallel?????
                As for the jump start thing, is left n/s or are you meaning as you look under the bonnet?

Comment

Originally posted by zacco hilux ssx 2.5td 91
                  in short ." red to red on batterys and each black on each engine block " ?
                  That's not quite what I said. Red to red on batterys is ok but black should go from battery on good vehicle to engine block on flat vehicle. The reason for this is that it saves passing the starter current through the ground wiring on the flat vehicle.
                  Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Thats right, I'm pretty sure that the Toyota Landcrusers are 24V start (two batteries in series) and surfs are 12V (two in parralel)

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X