Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Problems

Hi There All

Well I took the plunge and bought a 2.4SSRX with a 'blown headgasket'.

I'm doing all the work myself. A mate is giving a hand when he can. The question I have Is how do I know if it is a gasket or a cracked head. Here as some pics to have a look at.The first pic is of cylinder no4 the worst. I'm worried about the corrosion on the sleeve. This is were the injector sits.(When I removed the head the top of the piston was brown indicating water??) The second is of the headgasket.
    The truck stood for about 5 days before I drained the oil. At first I had water comming out of the sump then oil. I'm guestamating about 1-2 liters of water.

Thanks a Mil foryour help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RSA Surfer; 27 December 2005, 20:56.

Looking at that head gaket id say you got a cracked head as there is no sign of blow past from the water journal into the bore

Comment

2.4 cracked head

i had a problem with my 2.4 surf when it overheated in the summer but since then it has been ok. a couple of weeks ago i had it antifreezed and a couple of days later it blew it out of the exhaust and that was that ! i have had the head taken off and guess what the head is cracked and no4 is the worst. sounds like it could be the same as yours. i have ordered a head from stevo because everybody recomends him a modified head will cost you £799 which includes all gaskets bolts belts etc so sounds like the way to go.
      hope it helps. mine is a 1992 (j) 2.4 ssrx approx 63000 miles.
      it's a blue 2.4 litre diesel monster

Comment

head

The corrosion around the top of the cylinders is a sure sign of a cracked head, post some pics of the head, try to close up on the valve area's.
        Cheers, Steve.

Comment

Like this one!
          Attached Files
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

I bought a surf VERY cheap with blown head. Three heads later and about to fit THIRD engine it was originally the block! (second engine was second-hand with problems too) BE CAREFULL!

Good luck though.

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley
              I bought a surf VERY cheap with blown head. Three heads later and about to fit THIRD engine it was originally the block! (second engine was second-hand with problems too) BE CAREFULL!

Good luck though.
              Yeah I think I'll stick to new if possible

Comment

Pic 3 certainly looks like it's got a crack showing between the valves.
                Mike G

Comment

Head Problems -Repair Inprogress

HI All

Well I've recieved my new head from Stevo Today. I'm busy re-assy the new head.

Had to convert the Kitchen into a workshop as the weather is absolutely S-H-one-T out.

Thanks and many PRAISES to Stevo for his help and the rest of you guys for all the input. Thanks again. Dev
                  Attached Files

Comment

no doubt about it that head is ****ed....look between the valves big cracks also the pe combustion chambers are all cracked,,,sry to be the beareer of bad news but get a new one

Comment

He did,

now that you know everything RSA, whats a precup actually do. Whats a swirl chamber for?

I dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                        He did,

now that you know everything RSA, whats a precup actually do. Whats a swirl chamber for?

I dont know.
                        a pre-cup is the one below a AA bra... and a swirl chamber is something you should have watched a video about at school.
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Pre-Cup

Jiml I think you must be talking about Rugby No??? HaHa

Comment

Working...
                          X