Blown 40 amp fuse - helppp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown 40 amp fuse - helppp...

I have a 1993 Hi Lux Surf 2.4 Turbo Diesel model, which has just developed a fault. It keeps blowing the 40amp fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet.
    I suspect it's something to do with the starter motor but just wanted to run it by someone first before starting on it myself.

It first blew earlier in the week after a long run, I came back to truck after a shopping trip and deactivated the alarm, turned the ignition on and when i tried to start it blew the fuse (first time). I replaced the fuse (******* type) and everything was fine, I used it around town (short mileage) for a few days then went on a long trip again and when I came back to the truck the fuse blew again (doh). I replaced the fuse twice and each time it blew. Strange thing was that each time I put the fuse into the holder, the truck tried to start (Key was in the ignition but turned off). I turned the ignition key on and went round and stuck the 40amp fuse back in and it started, although I had no warning lights, wipers, indicators etc. In the end I got the car relayed home and there it still sits waiting for me to sort it out. I have considered taking it to an electrical place to fix it, but a friend had a nightmare with his hi-lux with a similar problem. Breakdown chap said it sounds like starter motor, maybe a short circuit that bypasses the switch, loose wire finding earth etc - any ideas - help!!! I miss my surf.
    Also, all the lights seem to work OK.
    I have had real problems sourcing the 40amp fuses because they are a strange shape - went to the Toyota dealership as a last resort and they could get them, but at £9 a fuse, this could work out expensive. Anyone know of anyone cheaper or had similar problems with the fuse???

Phil

Hi Phil, here is a link to the removal of the starter, there is a couple of cables down there that could be shorting, or they just may be loose.
    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/starter.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Hi Phil, here is a link to the removal of the starter, there is a couple of cables down there that could be shorting, or they just may be loose.
      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/starter.htm

Cheers for that, I'll let you know how I get on. What exactly is that 40amp fuse for Vince? And the 30amp next to it for that matter?

Phil

Comment

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 40 Amp Fuse Under The Bonnet Keeps Blowing As Soon As I Try To Start The Surf It Blows, Any Simple Fixes ???? Im No Mechanic Either.
        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlytharg
          What exactly is that 40amp fuse for Vince? And the 30amp next to it for that matter?

Nev

Comment

Working...
          X