intermittent oil light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent oil light

Hi, me again with another one. Truck is a 2.4 2WD pickup, 1995 with 200k miles on it.

The oil light on the dashboard has come on a few times over the last few weeks, stays on for 5-10 seconds then goes out again. It's under no particular conditions and I can't make it go out (e.g. put the clutch down and gun the engine). I have checked the oil level a few times and it's fine, the truck doesn't really use any, and it runs/sounds okay. Does this sound dodgy or is it one of those things? Should I get the oil pressure checked? I've had it a year and it didn't used to do this.

Thanks

John

When was the last time you changed the oil & filter? It could be a blocked pickup pipe in the sump, a blocked filter or possibly a worm oil pump. Best to get it checked out unless you want a possible engine failure.
    Mike G

Comment

or just a faulty oil pressure sender... probably the cheapest and easiest fix to try first!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
        or just a faulty oil pressure sender... probably the cheapest and easiest fix to try first!

i can not find this light .. it is not even listed in my owners manual
        nick 1 step in front of you

Comment

It's the light with an oil can on it, next to all the other warning lights that come on when you switch on the ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            It's the light with an oil can on it, next to all the other warning lights that come on when you switch on the ignition.

not listed in my book mate .. have never seen it in my surf .. must be broke

Comment

It's gotta be there, I've never seen a vehicle that didn't have a warning light for the engine oil.

Comment

It's gotta be there, I've never seen a vehicle that didn't have a warning light for the engine oil.
                other than when a dodgey seller is trying to hide something.
                plenty of them in n wales koed
                john
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

nor have i .. what side of the row of lights is it .?? i have ect..shock mode cruise control4wheel driveoverdrive lightindicators.high beam. glow .. seat belt lrear door.engine warning light..battrey charge.. parking brake fuel filtre exhaust overheat.. timeing belt a/t oil temp back door.. no oil light

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean now, just been outside and checked. The oil light is between the seatbelt and the battery warning lights. It dosen't seem to light up with the ignition, so I guess it only lights up when the engine oil is really low. I know there is one there, 'cos I've had my dash clocks out so many times!

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean now, just been outside and checked. The oil light is between the seatbelt and the battery warning lights. It dosen't seem to light up with the ignition, so I guess it only lights up when the engine oil is really low. I know there is one there, 'cos I've had my dash clocks out so many times!

glad that iam not loseing it

Comment

surely it comes on with ignition as you have no oil pressure!... and then for a second or 2 after starting till you get good oil pressure???

Comment

surely it comes on with ignition as you have no oil pressure!... and then for a second or 2 after starting till you get good oil pressure???

nope .. its there but dont light up .. guess u go by the pressure dial ??

Comment

Originally posted by koed
                            nope .. its there but dont light up .. guess u go by the pressure dial ??
                            oh right, didn't realise you had a guage.

Comment

oh right, didn't realise you had a guage.

dont they all have one as standard .. a gauge that is ????

Comment

Working...
                              X