spare wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spare wheel

Please help.I recently bought a 91 SSR surf,everything is fine,except that i can
    not remove the spare wheel which is underslung beneath the rear of the car.I
    have identified a slot/keyway in the bumper that appears to line up with a cylinder type object that sits above the spare.I would be grateful if any one
    could advise me on this matter.Thanks in anticpation

Originally posted by kev1225
    Please help.I recently bought a 91 SSR surf,everything is fine,except that i can
    not remove the spare wheel which is underslung beneath the rear of the car.I
    have identified a slot/keyway in the bumper that appears to line up with a cylinder type object that sits above the spare.I would be grateful if any one
    could advise me on this matter.Thanks in anticpation
    Hi and welcome
    Under slung spares can be a pain if not regularly lowered . Mine had the mechanism rust solid and would not let the spare down and I had to grind the centre weld out of the carrier to let the spare crash down to the ground .
    Have you got the lowering bar . Should be found under rear seat with a handle . As you say it lines up with a cylinder which has a slot in it and then turn to lower .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

They can be a real pain to lower, I've lowered mine a few times, and it still takes me about 10 minutes to find the right hole! (Don't be smutty you lot!)
      Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
        Hi and welcome
        Under slung spares can be a pain if not regularly lowered . Mine had the mechanism rust solid and would not let the spare down and I had to grind the centre weld out of the carrier to let the spare crash down to the ground .
        Have you got the lowering bar . Should be found under rear seat with a handle . As you say it lines up with a cylinder which has a slot in it and then turn to lower .
        Unfortunately i dont have this lowering bar,under the seat is just a bottle jack
        with 2 bars for raising/lowering the jack.Any idea where i can obtain one,tried
        local toyota dealer,not much help really

Comment

Sounds like you have everyting you need. The two bars connect together and enables you to reach the jack. You also insert the bar into the bumper at a steep angle, push it right up over the spare and into a small hole that the crook of the bar slots into, then turn and with a bit of luck, the pulley system should work and the spare should be lowered.

Good luck!
          Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Damian
            Sounds like you have everyting you need. The two bars connect together and enables you to reach the jack. You also insert the bar into the bumper at a steep angle, push it right up over the spare and into a small hole that the crook of the bar slots into, then turn and with a bit of luck, the pulley system should work and the spare should be lowered.

Good luck!
            Thank's Damian i'll give it a go.

Comment

Right, will have to look at this myself, having just got my surf. didnt realise all this was needed to get to the spare wheel !!!!!

So, what exactly is needed to get the spare off, and how do i do it??

cheers

Dai

Comment

Originally posted by DaiZX
                Right, will have to look at this myself, having just got my surf. didnt realise all this was needed to get to the spare wheel !!!!!

So, what exactly is needed to get the spare off, and how do i do it??

cheers

Dai
                stick the jack handle through the hole in the bumper till it engages with the little winch... turn it and the wheel lowers to the ground.

take the bracket out the centre of the wheel and robert's yer mothers brother
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

bet you've got a rear mounted spare though!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    bet you've got a rear mounted spare though!

if i have, someone's nicked it!!!!

cheers for the pointers, will give it a go tomoz.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X