bottom pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottom pulley

help advice needed as my surf's bottom pulley is rattling when ticking over,
    i belive its also some sort of balancer
    help
    john
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Yeh the inner two pulleys are joined together by some sort of rubber compound called a harmonic balancer, this has been known to come apart when the wrong method has been used for removing the pulleys from the crank.

I'd look up the people on the forum who have been breaking surfs now for a while, bound to have what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
      help advice needed as my surf's bottom pulley is rattling when ticking over,
      i belive its also some sort of balancer
      help
      john
      I just had a similar/ same problem mine was the aircon pump one that is the one nearest the drivers side on my 1992 2.4TD

very awkward to get at and put right the bolt on the pulley was loose and the very long tension adjusting bolt had come completely undone

so with much sweating and swearing and grazing and bruising of Knuckles and hands I got it back together you will need to get the access cover under the drivers side front wheel arch off to get at the tension bolt
      sorry I have no pics
      I think i,ve got to adjust the tension some more to let the belt contact and turn a pulley nearer the top of the engine as it is not turning and it was prior to this happening
      let me know how you get on
      Bobo

Comment

next question has anyone got one kicking about????
        or how much new and from where
        cheers
        john
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
          next question has anyone got one kicking about????
          or how much new and from where
          cheers
          john
          Roughtrax do them - it's called crank pulley towards the bottom of the page http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=135
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by bobo
            I think i,ve got to adjust the tension some more to let the belt contact and turn a pulley nearer the top of the engine as it is not turning and it was prior to this happening
            Bobo your aircon tensioner was the tip of the iceberg that is the other man's problem. Also if this pulley near the top of the engine which isnt turning doesnt look like a pulley in that it doesnt have a V groove and more of a flat face, then its an idler. It has no function only to settle the vibration of the belt on its long trip between two pulleys i.e. the crank and the aircon pulleys. Leave this out of the equation when setting the tension of the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              Also if this pulley near the top of the engine which isnt turning doesnt look like a pulley in that it doesnt have a V groove and more of a flat face, then its an idler. It has no function only to settle the vibration of the belt on its long trip between two pulleys i.e. the crank and the aircon pulleys. Leave this out of the equation when setting the tension of the belt.
              Correct. If the belt is worn then it's possible that it will not contact the idler. Another possibility is the other pulleys are also worn slightly and the belt sits deeper in the grooves thus placing the position of belt further from the idler. Brand of belt may also influence this. Mine contacts this idler all the time but if yours does not then a new belt may then do so. Nothing to worry about if it does not.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                Bobo your aircon tensioner was the tip of the iceberg that is the other man's problem. Also if this pulley near the top of the engine which isnt turning doesnt look like a pulley in that it doesnt have a V groove and more of a flat face, then its an idler. It has no function only to settle the vibration of the belt on its long trip between two pulleys i.e. the crank and the aircon pulleys. Leave this out of the equation when setting the tension of the belt.
                Thanks for clarifying that I wasn't looking forward to readjusting the tension as it so difficult to get at and because I beleived it was necessary I was going to do it this week you've saved my knuckles and time
                and as I am in the middle of putting new torsion bars on that is pretty short leading up to christmas! very much appreciated thanks again
                any ideas and tips for fittinf new torsion bars would be good as I am struggling at the moment to get the new ones to reseat in the cradle at the back end of the bars
                cheers
                Bobo

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                  Correct. If the belt is worn then it's possible that it will not contact the idler. Another possibility is the other pulleys are also worn slightly and the belt sits deeper in the grooves thus placing the position of belt further from the idler. Brand of belt may also influence this. Mine contacts this idler all the time but if yours does not then a new belt may then do so. Nothing to worry about if it does not.

Nev
                  much appreciated advice I was going to adjust the tension this week as I thought it was needed thank you for saving me time and bashed knuckles
                  I am stuck at the moment fitting new torsion bars got the first old one off but cant get the new one to go into the rear cradle I have put the front end
                  in ok but the rear won't quite go into its cradle any ideas would be great!
                  thanking you again
                  cheers
                  Bobo

Comment

Working...
                  X