Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on?

Hi Guys,
    Have been away for a while as dammed computer kept crashing! Now have nice new computer machine that is firing on all cylinders.
    However, I have a little tale to tell about my 2.4TD Surf.

All has been reasonably well of late with no unusual problems, apart from the odd failed component (rear window, heated rear window etc)
    The other day started the truck okay and travelled about ten miles with a trailer in tow to collect some hay. Up and down dale, quite a bit of hard work for the truck, 4-wheel drive needed a couple of times, but nothing untoward.
    Next day hitched up again and took short trip to the local garage. Everything working fine. Stopped at Garage, filled up with diesel, went to start truck .... eerrrkk! Virtually no battery power, failed to turn over engine, dead!

Managed to get a friend to bump start me and managed to do what was needed etc and got home.
    However, got home, went to park the trailer in the field and got stuck. Tried 4-wheel drive button, 4WD light on dashboard flickered on and off rapidly and then went out! No 4WD at all. Managed to unhitch and get truck out of the way then used a tow rope to put trailer away. As I put truck into Drive (its an Auto) it felt like the handbrake was on! Put it in 2nd and it felt okay, but D was always sluggish. Thought of 'transmission wind up' but hadn't relly done anything much in 4WD.
    Charged battery up and started okay, but Charge indicator for battery was rapidly declining - alternator obviously not working.

Fortunately I have a local mechanic who did his apprenticeship on 4WD trucks etc. He found that the wiring loom bhind the fuse box in the footwell had all burned - without blowing a fuse!! Replaced wiring and now Surf is like a Spring Chicken again so this must have been developing for some time.

What I would like to know is if anyone else has had this sort of problem and is it likely to happen again?

Other problem is that Speedo now only works intermittently and when it doesn't the OD light on dash flashes at me. Anyone solved this problem? Is this at the gearbox end (as my mechanic suspects) or at the Head end? All contacts that can be got at have been removed and cleaned with no change.

Any help appreciated.

Gary
    Greybeard
    Life is not a rehearsal!

Sounds like the alternator is overcharging. Unfortuately your batteries may be cooked too.

Comment

Thanks Vince,
      One battery is original (Japanese) the other is a replacement. They seem to be okay at the moment but as I am not using the truck every day....

Any ideas why the speedo is only working intermittently?

Gary

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Sounds like the alternator is overcharging. Unfortuately your batteries may be cooked too.
      Greybeard
      Life is not a rehearsal!

Comment

Working...
      X