Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing fuel?? replaced fuel pump seals

hi surfees
    ok fed up losing a good mug of fuel when the engine was cold, ok when hot nut thats expansion for you..

anyway my fuel pump was not leaking from the top cover but a litlle cover on the back side
    anyway i done a load of photos and captions to them if you want to check out my link

http://photos.yahoo.com/boaby57us

it took me just under 3 hours to get the thing out but that was me just being picky. tomorow the jetwash is out and then i'll re install

hope this helps you guys with a fuel leak ill let you know how it goes

cheers
    marc
    msn markieboy306@hotmail.co.uk

pefrfect guys all built and installed today with no fuel leaks at all, now im looking forward to not losing that fuel and see how my milage goes this week. this car is only used for short journeys so you can imagine if the pump leaks when cold its practically leaking all the time

no more however

check out my cooling modification

cheers
    marc

Comment

Cracking photo's, I've got the same problem. How many seals do you think can be changed without removing the pump?
      John
      [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

top cover seal its not a difficult job to do.

the job itself is not too bad i enjoyed the time stripping everything down cleaning,, cleaning is inspection!! as they say. it gave me a good chance to get the timing belt off and know that i had set up the timing correctly. i also put some copper grease on the shafts of the fuel pump, power steering and crank pully. so in future its a breeze for removing.

i only connected the fuel inlet pipe once it was installed, then primed the system using the pump on the filter until fuel spurted from the return pipe then i connected the remaining unions/pipes pumped again till presurised, started 3rd turn of key and never faultered
        long fingers help!!

Comment

Tigger, first of all I have to thank you for your brave discovery and the solution.

I have the same problem with my surf which I have park up for some time now because I was told that it will cost 500 euro to repair this piece, I was planing to get a second hand one instead.

Now after seeing this, I am planing to repair it myself, but I have some few question for you:

1) cold you write down the materials needed, such as type of ring and seal etc.

2) when you take the pump out, do you have to take it to a special place to gage a setting, because I was told that onece is taken out, it have to be taken a spacial machine to set the fuel gage..

please do help me and I am sorry for the inconvinieces this might have casued you

Originally posted by tigger
          hi surfees
          ok fed up losing a good mug of fuel when the engine was cold, ok when hot nut thats expansion for you..

anyway my fuel pump was not leaking from the top cover but a litlle cover on the back side
          anyway i done a load of photos and captions to them if you want to check out my link

it took me just under 3 hours to get the thing out but that was me just being picky. tomorow the jetwash is out and then i'll re install

cheers
          marc
          Last edited by basic_meo; 17 November 2005, 16:40.

Comment

Awesome photo's... great job... you may want to post those up on the Aussie tech site...

Comment

hi surfees

cheers
              marc
              Marc.

Would be good if you could do a brief write up on it and include the pictures, I can then load it up on the site as a tech article with appropriate credit to yourself of course.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                Marc.

Would be good if you could do a brief write up on it and include the pictures, I can then load it up on the site as a tech article with appropriate credit to yourself of course.

Cheers
                thanks for the credit guys,, it was more of as we know,, a time issue to do this job but the hours spent will be regained in no time through improved economy, its great not to see those unsightly puddles. i will do a write up on it, where do you want it sent?

as a reply to the surfee in spain. i got my seal kit from http://www.milneroffroad.com who ship worldwide should cost around €24 including postage

no need to take the pump anywhere matey. the two nuts at the front of the pump , have a look you will see a little alignment mark as once these are losened you can advance or retard the pump.. make sure the two marks are aligned.. then when you re assemble just follow the same procedure for removing/replacing the timing belt..if stuck let me know or get me on msn messenger
                markieboy306@hotmail.co.uk

if you can spare 1 day to remove the pump and replace the seals, then do assembly the next day you'll be finished by lunch.

Comment

thanks for the credit guys,, it was more of as we know,, a time issue to do this job but the hours spent will be regained in no time through improved economy, its great not to see those unsightly puddles. i will do a write up on it, where do you want it sent?

as a reply to the surfee in spain. i got my seal kit from http://www.milneroffroad.com who ship worldwide should cost around €24 including postage

no need to take the pump anywhere matey. the two nuts at the front of the pump , have a look you will see a little alignment mark as once these are losened you can advance or retard the pump.. make sure the two marks are aligned.. then when you re assemble just follow the same procedure for removing/replacing the timing belt..if stuck let me know or get me on msn messenger
                  markieboy306@hotmail.co.uk

if you can spare 1 day to remove the pump and replace the seals, then do assembly the next day you'll be finished by lunch.

Thanks again Tigger, you make my day I will order it right now, and I would not let those cow boys to rip me off
                  Last edited by basic_meo; 17 November 2005, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by basic_meo
                    Thanks again Tigger, you make my day I will order it right now, and I would not let those cow boys to rip me off
                    sure anything you need to know just email me or msn messenger me

i'll help you through it

Comment

Working...
                    X