wont come out of 4 wheel drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont come out of 4 wheel drive?

just bought a surf today and put it in 4 wheel drive and went up the road and turned a corner and then pulled over and now its stuck in 4 wheel drive! please help!!!

We need a bit more to go on than 'a Surf'!

Comment

Which surf is it? your profile doesn't list anything...'cos it might be expensive...

Did you try reverse, after disengaging 4wd...?

Sometimes on my 2nd gen, engage 4wd (on rough, loose surface!), move vehicle over obstruction... clear 'event', then disengage 4wd, reverse a couple of feet... then forward completes the disengage process....

'Windup' should reveal some interesting issues when searched for...

Also the sun visor translations will give a clear indication on when and where NOT to engage 4wd...

Comment

its an old g plate. only went slow and for about 50 meters in 4 wheel drive. tried reverse and no luck! what do i do now? its an ssr too.

Comment

its a 2.4 td 5 speed manual. i bought it as a dooer upper. its also very,very slow! any ideas? it doesnt smoke at all and you can hear the turbo just!someone said ita the fuel pump wants timing up???? any idea how much this will cost?? have i bought a shi**er?

Comment

hi, mine got stuck just the same. although it's an auto not manual. i had to creep forward in drive then wack it into reverse and give it a little 'toe'! not a perfect way of treating the gearbox, but it got me out of trouble.
            the problem was the car had 31" tyres on the front and 32" on the rear (i purchased it like this, and it stuck in 4wd the same day) things were'nt quite indexing correctly to disengage it so a little gentle nudge was needed to line things up.
            i changed the tyres and fitted 4 standard 31"ers and it goes in and out of 4wd as easily as my wife fingers into my wallet!!
            failing that it could be just a little stiff through lack of use! bit of advise though, if you're gonna play about with it, get it off road first onto some loose surface so if it does stick again you wont damage you're diff/gearbox whilst driving ect... mine went in a town centre car park about a mile and a half from home, they arnt half noisey on the road in 4wd and odd tyres on, and they handle like a bus with flat tyres!!

cheers
            andy

Comment

cheers for that mate. its ok now. thanks for everyones help!!!

Comment

Working...
              X