damn need new head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn need new head

Hi i think i am deffo in need of a new head, found oil in water, rad pipework pressurised......on further investigation found previous owner has removed the internals of the thermostat, engine feels hot but temp guage stays at normal.
    had an instance of it going through the roof so reckon that the head is cooked.
    will get it pressure tested tomorrow, i understand stevo does heads, if he reads this can he drop me a line via e-mail please, need full head,gasket bolts ect..... and a price, is a head replacement easy enough, rough idea of manhours ect... will do a stripdown with piccys and post for all to laugh at!

Originally posted by paulwest
    Hi i think i am deffo in need of a new head, found oil in water, rad pipework pressurised......on further investigation found previous owner has removed the internals of the thermostat, engine feels hot but temp guage stays at normal.
    had an instance of it going through the roof so reckon that the head is cooked.
    will get it pressure tested tomorrow, i understand stevo does heads, if he reads this can he drop me a line via e-mail please, need full head,gasket bolts ect..... and a price, is a head replacement easy enough, rough idea of manhours ect... will do a stripdown with piccys and post for all to laugh at!
    NOW DEFINATLY need a new head, drove 2 miles and lost all water!! any advice tips shortcuts i need to know gents, any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

There are no short cuts, clean and check the block deck, replace any iffy looking hoses, rebuild carefully with a uprated new cylinder head.

Then enjoy.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        There are no short cuts, clean and check the block deck, replace any iffy looking hoses, rebuild carefully with a uprated new cylinder head.

Then enjoy.

Just hope the weather holds out doing it in a carport , i take it that the pully's are marked up for tdc ect, have done heads on other vehicles but not a diesel.

hope the rest of the engine ok.....

Comment

Just hope the weather holds out doing it in a carport , i take it that the pully's are marked up for tdc ect, have done heads on other vehicles but not a diesel.

Yeah, the cam pully marks are @ 6 o'clock, but the rest are easy to see, the usual rules apply, make sure all the marks line up after you've set the tensioner and turned it over a few times on the crank nut by hand.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Yeah, the cam pully marks are @ 6 o'clock, but the rest are easy to see, the usual rules apply, make sure all the marks line up after you've set the tensioner and turned it over a few times on the crank nut by
            hand.
            thanks for the info tony, only had the van a week and this happened, still better now than when towing a caravan.
            will contact stevo in the morning re a new head ect, hopefully itll be straight forward .
            will do a photo shoot and write up as i go along.

Comment

hi all

Started strip down of engine today, managed to get all ancillary's off, at the stage where i need a puller to remove the pully and release the plastic timing cover.

I have taken photo's of ever stage, what size do the photos have to be to be posted on site or on this thread?

I will do a write up in pdf format so people can use acrobat to view, who do i send the write up and photos to for some one to proof read, idealy someone who has done head changes for years and can edit the writeup and cut out the bad bitz.

I contacted the bloke i bought it off last night to let him know that its a pile of S%^&E and that i had caught him out, i have negociated a settlement in writing via e-mail, ill give him a week and if reddies not fortcoming my solicitor can deal with it as he has made me an offer in writing.

Spoke to Stevo today and will be getting a head from him when ive finished stripping this van down.

The radiators for air con and cooling needed a good steam cleaning as they were covered in crud.

need to replace a few hoses as well, at least i had a good day to start with no rain!!

Comment

here you go & watch the vacuum hoses as well
                Attached Files
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  here you go & watch the vacuum hoses as well
                  Great many thanks for that info, handy as that is the stage i will be at tomorrow morning, will incorporate into my writeup as well

Comment

If you get stuck just post for help someone will oblige
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

word of advice, check your cylinder block also. i have mate with one, we replaced cracked head with modified one, all seemed ok til same happened again. i was stuck spoke to other mechanics who said same as me to check everything. got a fresh pair of eyes to check it out, and they found crack in block assembly on one of the cylinder walls. not visible to eye but enough to loose water, and push oil over his drive. anyway not trying to scare you or anything, but just words of advice

Comment

Originally posted by mimiata
                        word of advice, check your cylinder block also. i have mate with one, we replaced cracked head with modified one, all seemed ok til same happened again. i was stuck spoke to other mechanics who said same as me to check everything. got a fresh pair of eyes to check it out, and they found crack in block assembly on one of the cylinder walls. not visible to eye but enough to loose water, and push oil over his drive. anyway not trying to scare you or anything, but just words of advice

My block was eroded about 1" down 2 of the bores where it had been blowing for 6months easy to see once the crud was removed. Have to say pain at the time but been Ok since had a new engine.

Good luck

Steve
                        Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
                          My block was eroded about 1" down 2 of the bores where it had been blowing for 6months easy to see once the crud was removed. Have to say pain at the time but been Ok since had a new engine.

Good luck

Steve
                          best i keep my fingers crossed then, if not who sells reliable replacment engines with modded head??

Comment

Finally got the head off today, cracked between the valves on 3 out of 4 of the pots, checked the block and it appears to be ok, will dye test it tomorrow just to make sure.

Once happy ill be ordering up my new head kit and hopefully be ready for the weather in january, just my luck they have forcast snow this week

Comment

EROSION at the top of the bores is common if the head has gone for a while.
                              Dont go buying a new engine because of this! As you dont know what you are buying STEVO can relign & rebuild original if need be.
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X