auto gearbox reverse gear judder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto gearbox reverse gear judder

Just Got My 1992 Surf And Already Got A Problem With It!!!can Enyone Give Me A Clue As To Why,when I Put It Into Reverse It Judders Like Mad,as If It Got The Hand Brake On(hand Brake Is Off).but When You Put It Into Neutral It Moves Foward Slowly.iv Tryed To Adjust The Link But Doesnt Work....can Any One Help

First thing is to check the transmision fluid level/condition.
    second, maybe something to do with the rear brake shoes being very worn.
    Also check and /or grease the propshaft joints.

Comment

checked all levels,rear diff was very low toped up and is fine....

Comment

UJ's are prime suspect.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

reverse gear judder

Recently bought second gen 3.00 litre auto, all well until first longish journey, after approx 50 miles stopped at a junction then tried to move forward and no gear, eventually switched off ignition and restarted and managed to get going. I thought perhaps I had knocked the hi/low lever into neutral. This or similar happened four times on the 130 mile journey always when the car was brought to a stop and occasionally clunking back in to gear again. Also slipping in lower gears, to the point that I was not sure if I was going to make it up the hills.
          Checked transmission fluid level, and plenty there but really foul, burnt smelling muddy gunge. So dropped the transmission sump, magnets covered in gunge, filter fairly clogged, cleaned everyting up and got about 4 litres of dexon 2 in, I will repeat the process until I get the fluid cleaner, This seems to have made a improvement, but wont be convinced until I take it on a lon ger drive. However now have another problem, may have always been there, just not found, if accelarating hard or going up a hill in reverse the truck judders severely. All other gears seem fine, smooth changes, could this still be a transmission fluid problem i.e get more gunge out.
          Excellent forum, advice gratefully recieved, to return the favour, I have done a deal of research on veg oil systems, sourced very good quality components and fitted them to my surf ,excellent results. Anyone interested let me know.

Comment

humph, this thread has just reminded me to attempt to change the rear shoes and flush my trans out.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by mcubbin
              Recently bought second gen 3.00 litre auto, all well until first longish journey, after approx 50 miles stopped at a junction then tried to move forward and no gear, eventually switched off ignition and restarted and managed to get going. I thought perhaps I had knocked the hi/low lever into neutral. This or similar happened four times on the 130 mile journey always when the car was brought to a stop and occasionally clunking back in to gear again. Also slipping in lower gears, to the point that I was not sure if I was going to make it up the hills.
              Checked transmission fluid level, and plenty there but really foul, burnt smelling muddy gunge. So dropped the transmission sump, magnets covered in gunge, filter fairly clogged, cleaned everyting up and got about 4 litres of dexon 2 in, I will repeat the process until I get the fluid cleaner, This seems to have made a improvement, but wont be convinced until I take it on a lon ger drive. However now have another problem, may have always been there, just not found, if accelarating hard or going up a hill in reverse the truck judders severely. All other gears seem fine, smooth changes, could this still be a transmission fluid problem i.e get more gunge out.
              Excellent forum, advice gratefully recieved, to return the favour, I have done a deal of research on veg oil systems, sourced very good quality components and fitted them to my surf ,excellent results. Anyone interested let me know.
              If the fluid was smelling burnt and looked brown , you could have a worn/burnt out reverse clutch band . . This would cause the juddering in reverse only .
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Totally agree with above diagnosis. Check your auto trans level regularly. It should always be bright red and at the correct level. Too much is as bad as too little. I regularly change my trans fluid and any filters every 2 years. It makes for good maintenance and ensures long life and smooth changes.

Comment

also if you find a garage that has an auto flush system its worth a few bob getting it properly flushed out and minimises the chances of getting any debris or gunk stuck in the valve chest or shuttle valves in the gear box. i used to lose low gears when it got warm on long journeys (embarrasing at roundabouts and t.lights!) had my box flushed and added lucas shift fix additive and never had any problems and increased performance since... but if the clutch bands are too badly worn im afraid its gonna need an overhaul good luck
                  DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Working...
                  X