Using 4wd in the wet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deviant 1
    I was told to slip it in to 4wd around once a month in the wet driving in a straight line just so the linkage dont sieze up, then back again after about 100 yds. Atleast in this country you will be guaranteed the wet weathers atleast once a month !!
    Is it worth doing this? I haven't put it in 4wd since I bought it for fear of damage, which was a year and a half ago (although it was off the road for about 6 months having a new head).

Is just a wet road OK, or is somewhere more slippery better? For example a grassy verge on a country lane. Or will in the dry be OK if I only travel in a straight line?

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
      Is it worth doing this? I haven't put it in 4wd since I bought it for fear of damage, which was a year and a half ago (although it was off the road for about 6 months having a new head).

Is just a wet road OK, or is somewhere more slippery better? For example a grassy verge on a country lane. Or will in the dry be OK if I only travel in a straight line?
      If you havent been off road in a while , then you should stick it in 4WD preferably on grass or gravel , this will get everthing lubricated in your drive train and keep everything running free. The same is true for the Air Con , make sure you run it once in a while through the winter.

I just wouldn't risk it on tarmac , however wet it is.
      http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

if you keep the truck in a straight line when selecting 4wd on a "grippy" surface shouldn't get any transmision wind up, where front axel tries to turn more/less than the rear when cornering. if transfer lever moves in and out of 4h easily good indication that all is well if it goes stiff, so to speak!, you've wound up the transfer case, not so good. used to run my old hilux pickup in 4wd on the road in the wet all the time before i knew better, got through numerous propshaft uj's, think there may have been a link!
        Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Working...
        X