overheating when idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating when idle

my surf is a 2.4 ssr x i love it and had only a couple of problems,but now when i'm in traffic sitting stationary the temp guage goes up but when i move of again it immediately goes to the centre where it normally stays.
    thanks for any advice this really is a good website,pity i cant find any garages willing to look the surf.
    ps does anyone know of a fuel saving action to take,this is a thirsty beast.
    cheers

Hi page,
    Fistly I would check coolant levels. Take off the filler cap, when the engine is cold, start up and watch the level while someone revs it for you. Top up as necessary (mine did this in the Summer due to low coolant level).
    Next I would check that the rad fins are not blocked by mud, leaves, squashed bugs etc.
    Check that the viscous fan is working (when engine is cold you shoud be able to stop it turning with a rolled up newspaper. When engine is hot it will be harder to stop.)

It's only a hobby!

Comment

Your electric fan should come on when the temp reaches about three quarters on the gauge, if not check the fan is working or it could be the temp sensor that activates it.

As for fuel saving, try not to use it so much?

Comment

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER]Your electric fan should come on when the temp reaches about three quarters on the gauge, if not check the fan is working or it could be the temp sensor that activates it.

As for fuel saving, try not to use it so much? [/QUOTE

not all surfs have an electric secondry cooling fan.......
        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

It's a K reg 2.4. I would have thought it needed one.

Comment

Originally posted by slim

not all surfs have an electric secondry cooling fan.......
            Don't they? all I've seen have! Someone must have nicked it!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Don't they? all I've seen have! Someone must have nicked it!!!!

remember reading this post by lucky saying that not all have this fan fitted

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=electric+fan
              CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

overheating when idle

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                Hi page,
                Fistly I would check coolant levels. Take off the filler cap, when the engine is cold, start up and watch the level while someone revs it for you. Top up as necessary (mine did this in the Summer due to low coolant level).
                Next I would check that the rad fins are not blocked by mud, leaves, squashed bugs etc.
                Check that the viscous fan is working (when engine is cold you shoud be able to stop it turning with a rolled up newspaper. When engine is hot it will be harder to stop.)

hi phil,i've tried topping up the coolant levels and alas it still overheats the rad fins are fine too,when i'm in traffic the fan comes on and then the temp guage rises,not sure what this could be,any answers.
                ps thanks for your help dude.x

Comment

Working...
                X