New Surf owner, not a clue. Intercooler issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Surf owner, not a clue. Intercooler issues

Just bought a 91 2.4TD GSSR. No MOT but it is imaculate. It starts every time and has the expected exaust smoke. When i bought it, it had an after market intercooler in the boot which had been taken off, also it has a large hole in the bonnet where the intercooler pertruded. Now, it has an after market turbo gauge and oil temperature(not connected) in the cab.
    I need to know what to do. Will the engine be set up to have the intercooler working (turbo PSI up) or will it not matter if i leave the intercooler off? Should i even drive it? Also if the intercooler is on can it pertrude the bonnet and will rain and dirt effect it or do i need a bonnet scoop. Please help me as i really havent a clue. I also need to know what sounds i shouldnt be hearing or what i can check simply to make sure the baby doesent blow up on me. 07713512004
    Kite Surf

It could be, a good intercooler kit should come with a ECU upgrade, a home made one probably won't. They must have put stuff back after removing the cooler or it wouldn't run, so it'll probably be OK to drive it.

The turbo boost could have been increased, look for washers behind the boost cut of valve on the side of the turbo, or the bar from the valve to the turbo body being altered.

Rain and dirt won't affect how a cooler works as long as its not plugged with mud, rain will even help! But a scoop helps direct air on to it when going along.

Are you in on Friday AM? Going to Stevenage friday morning, can stop in fora quick sniff around if you want.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Relief has come across me in hearing your response. She just failed the MOT on sidelight bulb!
      Unfortunately i wont be around Friday AM but am in the dark with any mechanics to do with this problem and would be willing to pay someone to get this problem fixed. I dont want to take it into Toyota and get raped on labour.

I drove her back from cornwall (300 miles) and didnt go above 100Kph as i was worrid about blowing it. After 100Km i cheked the turbo and it was slightly smoking??
      Kite Surf

Comment

Working...
      X