Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Viscosity Sensor?

Hi y'all,

I *thought* I posted this earlier in the week, but can't find any evidence of a thread, so am re-doing it. Apologies if you've seen it twice.

I'm preparing to put some WVO-based fuel into my 1990 2.4 Surf and it looks a bit thick, so will be adding some turps or other veg-based solvent to it.

My question is: does the Surf have a fuel viscosity sensor which may cause the ECU to shut down the injector pump to fallback (or off) mode? If so, does anyone have experience of re-programming the chip to ignore the sensor?

I'll be fitting a 2nd (inline) fuel filter for extra protection, just in case. At some point will install some fuel heaters and possibly a two-tank system.

Thanks in advance.
    David Poyner
    Barton Alpacas, Somerset, England.
    Blood-red (inside & out) 2.4 Auto SSR Limited

You may have to change your fuel filter more often than the recomended interval, other than that it will be fine.

p.s. Welcome to the forum.......AGAIN!

Comment

dont think there is a fuel viscosity sensor on all surfs.
      However, my UK 4runner has a heated fuel filter unit which has a vacuum switch built in to turn the heater element on and off. I assume this vacuum switch is triggered by an increase in fuel viscosity.
      And surfs with a so called "winter pack" will have this unit.
      you can tell by looking at top of filter unit there are 2 pairs of wires going into it.
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
        However, my UK 4runner has a heated fuel filter unit which has a vacuum switch built in to turn the heater element on and off. I assume this vacuum switch is triggered by an increase in fuel viscosity.
        you can tell by looking at top of filter unit there are 2 pairs of wires going into it.
        It's more likely a temperature switch ... which is exactly what I need for the heaters. Has anyone used either a Stanadyne heater (eBay ID 4584737051) or fuel filter heater like eBay ID 4585018516? If so, can you comment on their quality and efficacy?

Thanks all for replies so far. I'll be trying the fuel as soon as the truck comes back from the shop.
        David Poyner

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
          Whilst fitting a wrap-around fuel filter heater, I notice there are two wires going into a lumpy thing on the BOTTOM of my fuel filter!? Is this a heater?

Anyhow, it's running OK on SVO + petrol, approx 4:1. Now I want to find an alternative solvent, preferably legal & fossil-free. Cheers all.
          David Poyner

Comment

It's a sensor for water in the fuel. You will get a light come on, on the dash telling you it needs emptying.
            Just unscrew the white plastic wheel on the bottom the filter to drain the water.

See here...

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelfilter.htm

Comment

i am using the standyne in-line heater
              only comes on below 10 degC

the filter unit on my truck - has a vacuum switch. not temp switch
              thats what its described as in haynes manual and toyota EPC.
              also haynes manual describes using a vacuum test device to check its working! - so it aint a temp switch!

i have howver fitted a temp switch to overrride vaccum switch. this goes off at 40 degC and it strapped to my heated fuelcat
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
              X