2.4 turbo on 2.8lt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 turbo on 2.8lt

Ive heard that you can put the manifold & turbo off a 2.4 on to a 2.8 diesel.
    is this true, also has anybody here done it, what kind of power could you expect.
    93 ssr-x 3.0td , auto. (kzn130)

Ye sthis has been done, not sure on the power figures though. The 3L head accepts the parts without modification. Think it has been done in Australia. You might want to look at the Australian surf site.

Cheers

Comment

yeah its a frustrating site to use, not like this one.

ive seen some aussie sites that advertise aftermaket kits for them, like garrets etc, but they are pretty costly.
      from what ive read combined with my own common sense, the compression needs to be lowered to make sure it lasts.
      Last edited by Maddog007; 20 October 2005, 10:39.

Comment

Not sure on the compression ratio on the 2.8 (3L engine) but you could be right in needing to lower it to make sure the Turbo doesn't destruct the engine. Thicker head gasket is normal cure (or a spacer and head gasket combo).

An alternative could be to take something off the top of the pistons however as they are slightly shaped for valve clearance you may upset the swirl characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog007
          Ive heard that you can put the manifold & turbo off a 2.4 on to a 2.8 diesel.
          is this true, also has anybody here done it, what kind of power could you expect.
          Yes they are interchangable, the increase will depend on the boost you are looking for. It is recommend not to exceed 7lbs as any higher will decrease your engine life greatly. They say up to 30% increase in power and torque.

I am in the stage of doing the same but I am rebuilding a 3L engine from scratch so I will have a good engine to start with.

I you go ahead with the interchange let me know how you fair.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gumdale1
            Yes they are interchangable, the increase will depend on the boost you are looking for. It is recommend not to exceed 7lbs as any higher will decrease your engine life greatly. They say up to 30% increase in power and torque.

I am in the stage of doing the same but I am rebuilding a 3L engine from scratch so I will have a good engine to start with.

I you go ahead with the interchange let me know how you fair.

Good Luck.
            hi gumdale,welcome to the forum.

Are you rebuilding the engine with a reduced compression in mind ?

Comment

hi gumdale,welcome to the forum.

Are you rebuilding the engine with a reduced compression in mind ?
              No, as the diesels rely on a 22:1 compression ratio. if I have to shave the block I will need to shave the pistons also or they will hit the head. (does not effect the fuel swirl) I can use a thicker head gasket if required, they come in 3 thicknesses.

Gumdale1

Comment

No, as the diesels rely on a 22:1 compression ratio. if I have to shave the block I will need to shave the pistons also or they will hit the head. (does not effect the fuel swirl) I can use a thicker head gasket if required, they come in 3 thicknesses.

Gumdale1
                so you saying you dont need to lower the compression if you only use 7psi or less of boost. ?

Comment

so you saying you dont need to lower the compression if you only use 7psi or less of boost. ?
                  The only time you lower the compression is for petrol engines when installing a turbo, diesel engines require high compression to ignite the fuel as it is an oil based fuel.

Gumdale1

Comment

yeah its a frustrating site to use, not like this one.
                    Is this the one you have looked at ??
                    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/index.php

I find it very user friendly and use both of these sites a LOT !!
                    Where are ya in this great land??
                    I'm on the North Shore.
                    Last edited by Simon.O.; 23 October 2005, 01:44.
                    Simon.O.
                    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

The only time you lower the compression is for petrol engines when installing a turbo, diesel engines require high compression to ignite the fuel as it is an oil based fuel.

Gumdale1
                      yes i had a similar conversation with a top mechanic the other day.
                      so it just a bolt on & hope job then.
                      what is required in terms of control systems from the donor vehicle, ie boost related vacuum systems etc.

Comment

did either of you do it?
                        Mat..

All things Lexus...ask moi

Comment

Working...
                        X