2.4 EFI engine management light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 EFI engine management light

Hello all, I guess I'm out in the "sticks" as they say but its not just with my location. I'm also not running a surf. What I have is a landcruiser LJ78 which is a surf in disguise. It has the 2.4 EFI turbo engine. My latest issue is the engine management light switching on and if its on the turbo is out. If out of gear and rev'd to approx 5k the emu light drops off sometimes and the turbo reappears. However when on the road and underload there is no way of reaching 5k revs and hence no turbo and no power, except when sitting idiling at a junction there is a 50/50 chance of the turbo reappearing but usually only for 20secs or so.
    I've tried the obvious unplugging and replugging the various vac selonoids, air flow sensors etc.
    I followed 2 vac lines all the way back to the Xfer box, what the devil do they do?
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/new...ewthread&f=39#
    Devil
    I'm in need of some insperation, I tried the toyota garage in Inverness (100 miles away) and they don't want to know about an import.

The vacuum lines are part of the ADD system for engaging 4wd.

Have you pulled off the intake and tried to spin the turbo by hand, it may be jamming. See if there is any play in the bearings.

There should be a little pipe going from the intake, via a small filter to the boost pressure sensor, check all these are not loose or blocked, if you can swap them with a working set. (I can lend you the parts to test it if you cover the postage, I have some used ones.)
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Tony thanks for the info and the offer.
      I have looked at the turbo and she spins fine.
      I also chased the diagnostic story and came up with codes 2,5,7,8 & 12.
      Code2 lines up with the boost sensor so I had the wee fellow hold the throttle down at 5000 revs and we had the turdo light kick back in and the check light go out. While in this condition I disconnected the vav hose going to the boost pressure switch the green turbo LED followed on/off as I connected and disconnected the vac tube. Don't think it's the switch?
      I then realised that I should clear the codes and start over. At this point I got code 12 only. I think this points either at the pump or the knock sensor. The knock sensor resistance after a few seconds dropped to 14ohms so is ok? The pump is only 4 months old.
      Yip, like so many others I lost the head and if roasted the body of the fuel pumps often warp and leak fuel as a result. The head was nearly a year ago and the pump 4 months ago, not a cheap experience.
      Anyhow, it seams like something sticking to me. All is fine for first 5 mins or so from cold and also is fine for short bursts especially if rev'd hard.
      Do you think it could still be the boost pressure switch?
      I'd be more than happy to pick up postage costs.

Andy

Comment

Working...
      X