Head stripped down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head stripped down

Got the head stripped down with a lot of Andy's (lucky) help.
    Head gasket shot causing pressure in coolant. There were two cracks in the head between 3 & 4 more attributing to the recent bad performance its been giving.
    Pics of the strip down to follow.
    Last edited by Koi; 2 September 2003, 11:20.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

come on man! dont keep us in suspence, wheres the pix, job costings, 10 page guide "how to change a stuffed surf head". all waiting in anticip....................... ..............pation. seems alot of guys have done a head change, but never shown it on paper- er pixels. i think a lot of us would like to know what we`re in for. it would be quite interesting to see the differences between the gaskets and heads of yours and andys engines! old and new. pix, pix, pix, pix!
    jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
    1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

heres the pics
      Last edited by lucky; 20 February 2006, 16:12.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
        heres the pics
        and some more
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Koi; 2 September 2003, 11:46.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
          and some more

more
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Koi; 2 September 2003, 11:50.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
            more
            last ones
            Attached Files

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi-jim
              come on man! dont keep us in suspence, wheres the pix, job costings, 10 page guide "how to change a stuffed surf head". all waiting in anticip....................... ..............pation. seems alot of guys have done a head change, but never shown it on paper- er pixels. i think a lot of us would like to know what we`re in for. it would be quite interesting to see the differences between the gaskets and heads of yours and andys engines! old and new. pix, pix, pix, pix!
              Koi's put the pictures up, here is my write up so far for when I did mine - still got to add some more details to the build part but you should get the idea.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Toyota%202...eplacement.htm

Cheers

Comment

Well thanks for the slide show, l take it your going to buy a new head then.
                Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
                  Well thanks for the slide show, l take it your going to buy a new head then.
                  Yep will buy new head, but also looking at the possibility of putting a different engine in it.
                  Talking to a mate who works in a garage and they got a supra in there write off rear ended by a lorry, just waiting to hear if the engines up for grabs.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                    Yep will buy new head, but also looking at the possibility of putting a different engine in it.
                    Talking to a mate who works in a garage and they got a supra in there write off rear ended by a lorry, just waiting to hear if the engines up for grabs.

GREAT JOB GUYS!very professional, you guys should work for haynes (then we would get the manuals we want). will the next write up be a repower one? which motor are you looking at,5m or 7m? a mate of mine has a 5m in his surf, very heavy drinker, about the same as my V8. mind you it has 36" super swampers to turn. anyway, once again great job on the write up, keep em comming
                    jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
                    1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                      Heard this afternoon that the bloke who owns the car is keeping the engine (on a h plate) cause he's had it from new its got full Toyota service history and only done 60,000miles hes sourcing anothe car and putting the engine in that

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

On the subject of heads.

UK Cylinder Heads:
                        Supply genuine Toyota head with cams lifters springs ready to bolt on
                        for £595+VAT, also take old head in exchange.
                        They do the bolts, gasket sets and the genuine Toyota sets, as well a
                        much more.
                        Take a look here for the full run down of what they do:
                        www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                          On the subject of heads.

UK Cylinder Heads:
                          Supply genuine Toyota head with cams lifters springs ready to bolt on
                          for £595+VAT, also take old head in exchange.
                          They do the bolts, gasket sets and the genuine Toyota sets, as well a
                          much more.
                          Take a look here for the full run down of what they do:
                          www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk
                          nigel, is that price with the old head in exchange, i know you probably wouldnt do it, but if you wanted to you could have your head repaired, they can be stitched
                          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                          [size=5][/size]
                          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                            nigel, is that price with the old head in exchange, i know you probably wouldnt do it, but if you wanted to you could have your head repaired, they can be stitched
                            Ian.

don't think it is worth repairing a duff old 2L head, it seems they have changed the internal waterway design on the new heads to give a bit more space between the valves and the waterways to try and stop the problem. I think if you repair the head you are still just storing up problems for the future.

And yes the heads from ukcylinderheads are exchange units.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gemini

Ian, yes price with exchange included. Thought about repairing head but new genuine Toyota head to good to resist.

One other thing, if you phone at a reasonable time one day they normally deliver the next.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X