The enevitable!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The enevitable!

sorry guys another nubie asking obvious questions about 2.4 surfs overheating.
    Had mine over 12 months without problems then- suddenly, high temp and water streaming out of the expansion tank.
    Engine runs fine with usual exhaust smoke. Fitted new rad cap and flushed radiator but problem seems to be getting worse with top hose feeling over pressurised within minutes. Intend to fix viscous fan & change thermostat, but am I putting off the enevitable gasket (or even head) change?
    Last edited by noisebod; 4 October 2005, 00:58.

Have you made sure you've got rid of all the air in the cooling system?
    Also, when I refitted my rad, I filled it by pouring water down the top hose so that the rad was full before I connected the top hose back up to the thermostat housing.
    Then I quarter filled the expansion tank, then topped up via the rad cap started engine and run untill the temp gauge needle started to move, then fitted the rad cap.

p.s. make sure your heater controls are in the red/hot position.

Comment

Get a pressure test done to be sure
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by noisebod
        Had mine over 12 months without problems then- suddenly, high temp and water streaming out of the expansion tank.
        I see you replaced the rad cap.The thermostat may also be faulty.Have it tested or if you can't test it properly then replace it.A cracked head or faulty gasket will pressurise the cooling system but a stuck thermostat will do the same. The hot coolant can't get out of the head so just keeps getting hotter till it boils and then the pressure has to go somewhere. This is back via the water pump, through radiator outlet and then up to thermostat housing causing the cap to release all the excess pressure and the coolant as well.If you are lucky the head and head gasket may be ok but it is often not.Thermostats and rad caps should be checked and replaced on a regular basis.They do not last forever, are a cheap part and an easy job to do.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by noisebod
          sorry guys another nubie asking obvious questions about 2.4 surfs overheating.
          Engine runs fine with usual exhaust smoke. Fitted new rad cap and flushed radiator but problem seems to be getting worse with top hose feeling over pressurised within minutes. Intend to fix viscous fan & change thermostat, but am I putting off the enevitable gasket (or even head) change?
          You need to get hold of Stevo mate. 0161 476 6144. Once a 2.4's 'brewed up' the damage is done.
          Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
            Once a 2.4's 'brewed up' the damage is done.
            Pete
            Not strictly true (although in this case likely!). I seem to manage to overheat my truck everytime I offroad it. Largely due to overzealous mud plugging filling the rad with mud! The last time being this weekend.

I have had my head done 2 yrs ago and never had any problems, once system is refilled, but as Bushwhacker said check all the air is out of the system and get pressure test done.
            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

I might be a bit too optimistic but, just drained the rad and refilled carefully so as to ensure no air locks and run the engine for half an hour and so far so good!
              Need to test it properly on the road with an eagle eye on the needle.

Thanks to those who offered advice

Fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                You need to get hold of Stevo mate. 0161 476 6144. Once a 2.4's 'brewed up' the damage is done.
                Pete

It ain't necessarily so.
                Mines brewed up at Devils Pit, Langdale and on a 'kin steep hill in Devon while towing the caravan. As far as I know it is unmodded. Maybe the time will come???
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  It ain't necessarily so.
                  Mines brewed up at Devils Pit, Langdale and on a 'kin steep hill in Devon while towing the caravan. As far as I know it is unmodded. Maybe the time will come???
                  Maybe you've been lucky or I've been unlucky. My rebuilt engine with modded head brewed up on the M65, almost certainly due to an airlock, and warped the head. At least it didn't crack!!! Hence I'm now an 'EX' Surfer.
                  Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X