Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder head prevention

Hi,
    Just bought a 1990 Surf, 2.4L. 70 000km. No smoke grey smoke or water fluc's yet, however kind of worried about the cylinder head problem. You may get this all the time but what preventive measures can I take? Hopefully keeping some sort of cost down.

Hi, The two mods I have done is fit two rearward facing vents in the bonnet (Hood) and 'locked' my viscous radiator fan so it's spinnin' all the time. The vents are the most effective mod.

Comment

and flush the cooling system and keep an eye on coolant level and condition.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Hi, The two mods I have done is fit two rearward facing vents in the bonnet (Hood) and 'locked' my viscous radiator fan so it's spinnin' all the time. The vents are the most effective mod.
        Hi, can i ask where you got the vents from and what were they like to fit...?

Comment

;;; hmmm kinda dangerous to lock that fan '' theres a whole lotta suction there ''
          if at first you dont succeed..... bollock

Comment

Originally posted by Jones
            Hi,
            Just bought a 1990 Surf, 2.4L. 70 000km. No smoke grey smoke or water fluc's yet, however kind of worried about the cylinder head problem. You may get this all the time but what preventive measures can I take? Hopefully keeping some sort of cost down.
            Often over looked by some Surf owners but you must clear the air intakes over the radiator intake grilles of any clutter. Chief culprits are number plates (can usually be re-drilled and re-positioned over the bumper) and huge spotlights (the might look cool but they don't help keep the engine cool- move 'em out the way!!!).

Comment

Another thing to check is that front of the radiator isn't clogged with dead moths, flies or mud and gunge, if it has been wading in deep water.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by lizardinc
                ;;; hmmm kinda dangerous to lock that fan '' theres a whole lotta suction there ''
                Its not gonna hurt, just make a row and cost a few MPG.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Kalimantan
                  Hi, can i ask where you got the vents from and what were they like to fit...?

I got them off ebay for £12. they're from an Astra GTE. they are in two parts, you cut a hole in the bonnet fit the top part and the other half bolts up from underneath.

Comment

thanx

I got them off ebay for £12. they're from an Astra GTE. they are in two parts, you cut a hole in the bonnet fit the top part and the other half bolts up from underneath.

Thanks i'll give the hood vents a go and keep an eye on my coolent system to keep everything flowing and clean. Would I need to modify the cylinder head itself?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      Its not gonna hurt, just make a row and cost a few MPG.

Actually it's not that loud, I can still here my mud tyres on the road more than the fan. Maybe it's because I've removed all my air con equipment that there is more air space around the front of the engine. and as for mpg, I only do an average of about 95 miles per month.

Comment

Avoid head probs

2 things I could suggest are:
                        1) Check coolant regularly, but not by the levels in the expansion bottle, top it up by the rad cap and keep that as full as possible.
                        2) Check the rad cap, if that is knackered then it will create a lower pressure in the system and will boil at a lower temp. When I got mine checked it held no pressure at all, and lost water gradually. It looks like I may have just caught it before it trashed the head...hopefully..lol
                        Keep it greasey so it'll go down easy...

Comment

Working...
                        X