Help help help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help help help

I have a 2.4 surf td '91. She only starts when she wants to!!!!

Ok at first she turned over slow and would sometimes start, garage said new fuses and relays.

All changed...

But once done garage decided it needed a new battery.

New battery put in....

Now she turns over alot faster but again will only start when she wants, I just dont know where to start anyone got any clues? As I am at a loss and its really annoyin, it has a toad sterling immobiliser fitted.

Any cables/connectors to check which are proned to deterioation or anyone had this problem and knows what the problem was??

Pleeeaaaasssseee Help!!!!

have they checked the glowplugs?
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      have they checked the glowplugs?
      I am not sure as they seemed certain it was relays and fuses!! great help. how can you test glow plugs? can they cause this intermitant startin?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerbuc2004
        I am not sure as they seemed certain it was relays and fuses!! great help. how can you test glow plugs? can they cause this intermitant startin?
        I assume they tested the fuses and not just guessed it was them??

see here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ght=continuity
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Ok at first she turned over slow and would sometimes start, garage said new fuses and relays.
          That would be typical of most 'Garages' ....i.e : Most expensive + easiest fix.
          But once done garage decided it needed a new battery.
          Hmmmm....smells like more money !!
          New battery put in....
          Now she turns over alot faster but again will only start when she wants, I just dont know where to start anyone got any clues? As I am at a loss and its really annoyin, it has a toad sterling immobiliser fitted.
          OK from here it is a process of elimination.
          You have new batteries and cranking speed is 'fast'. That alone should allow for a start........IF fuel is getting there.
          Here it gets sticky for me without seeing the vehicle.
          Is there a genuine fuel problem, usually the primer pump / fuel filter assembly, or is it the imobiliser locking out the fuel solenoid?
          Disconnect the imobiliser first and see how things go.

BASIC RULE No 1 for diesels
          Compression + fuel = BANG !...that simple.

Intermitant problems are invariably electrical, and I would look to the imobiliser first.
          Simon.O.
          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Ok guys thankyou very much for your quick responses, am going to try and check the glow plugs 2moro and would like to know how to disconect the immobilisor? Is the fuel solonoid easy to get to and check? I suspected a fuel problem.

Thanks again and look forward to these questions.

Matt

Comment

Is the fuel solonoid easy to get to and check? I suspected a fuel problem.
              Matt
              Do you have a 2L-T or 2L-TE.If the latter then you don't have a Fuel Cut Solenoid.The 2L-TE has a different fuel pump with a lot more electronics and the fuel on these is controled by a Spill Control Valve.Never try to test these by applying battery voltage as you may fry the ECU.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                Do you have a 2L-T or 2L-TE.If the latter then you don't have a Fuel Cut Solenoid.The 2L-TE has a different fuel pump with a lot more electronics and the fuel on these is controled by a Spill Control Valve.Never try to test these by applying battery voltage as you may fry the ECU.

Neville
                If I remember rightly its the 2L-T i bet its a simple thing thats gettin right on my nerves!!!!!

Comment

I am at a loss

I have changed batteries so turns over really quickly

Have changed fuse and relays in box

Have just put in new glow plugs

Its a 2L-TE and sometimes will only turn over and not fire, it will fire if I turn the ignition on and off a couple of times

The way I start her is, do immob, wait till buzzer for about ten seconds then start, but sometimes she wont do the start bit and just turnover

Can someone please help, does anyone know if there is a fuel pump switch or anything I can check. Really hope for some HELP!!!

Comment

Sounds like it's the immobiliser to me, I have the same problem now and then on my Mondeo. Can you isolate it and try starting the engine without it ?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                      Sounds like it's the immobiliser to me, I have the same problem now and then on my Mondeo. Can you isolate it and try starting the engine without it ?
                      If anyone has any idea how to isolate i would like to try or check the fuel pump switch

Comment

Working...
                      X