do I really need a new compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do I really need a new compressor?

My aircon went kaput recently (the blower's fine, but the air doesn't get cold), and after reading some threads on here I assumed it needed regassing. So yesterday I paid a visit to the guy in Reading (Berkshire Radiators) who has had some good write-ups.

Nice guy, told me that normal regassing/servicing is £65, however after a look under the bonnet realised I still had fittings for the old-style gas. I agreed then for the £100 service, which included the conversion kit to new fittings and new gas.

Sadly it's not enough. After he'd done the job, he found the problem seemed to be with the compressor. In fact the problem I've got seems similar in symptoms to the thread here:
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15263

Question is, is it likely to be a new compressor I need, and if so how much is it likely to cost? Is there any point in looking for one from a breaker?

Cheers,
    t

Hi m8,

Front bearing went on mine, and it chewed up the pulley pretty bad (was like that when I imported it). Thankfully, I've managed to get another 'compressor' along with the pulley and electronic clutch assembly. I've fitted that and am awaiting an opportunity to get it to the garage for them to have a look at re-gassing it.

Once I'd taken the old compressor off I took it to bits to see if I could figure out what had happened. Wasn't till I put it back together that it became obvious that it was the front bearings that had gone. Just inside the front there's a cir-clip (my spelling's cr@p) holding something in - maybe that's how you get to the bearings - I might have another look! The other thing to bear in mind it how much damage has it done to the pulley? If it's anything like mine it had shreaded the middle of the pulley, which is rubberised. If that needs replacing the Toyota part would cost an arm and a leg!! Might be worth trying to see if any one has a spare available.

The other problem is that the diagram attached to the other thread dosn't make it clear whether the front bearings are available indivdually for purchase anyway.
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

theres a compressor sitting on mine doing nothing, its not been used since ive had it cos an o ring was left off one of the fittings lower down.and the system didnt hold gas.didnt find the 5p oring missing till i'd hacked all the pipes out... i have no idea if its any good or not, but it is spare...
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Air Con Compressor

Hi Matey

as an aside to yer prob, wifey's got a 2.8 Paj that, when bought, didn't have the air con working. We did the same as you (the little man with the gas etc) and got the same prices too.

He concluded that the compressor was at fault and therefore a further 400 quid would ease our burdens. Being cash-strapped at the time we declined and left it. 6 months later, simply turning the aircon on found that it had sorted itself out.

Maybe the comp was just stuck (I honestly don't know) but we parted with no more cash and it all works fine.

Bl**dy thing didn't even have a belt fitted when we got it, but now all's OK.....'cept for my Surf which is currently languishing in France having overheated. All donations to my back pocket accepted...
        And some that smile have in their hearts, I fear, millions of mischiefs

Comment

..and now my Surf's back and some frog mechanic has kept half my car!! To Agincourt, driver, and don't spare the horses!!

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker
            ..and now my Surf's back and some frog mechanic has kept half my car!! To Agincourt, driver, and don't spare the horses!!
            assholes!! think someone has to point out the obvious (just to make sure theres no confusion)

AIR CON GAS IS EXTREMELY TOXIC, AND SHOULD ONLY BE RELEASED AT GARAGES LICENSED TO DO SO!

...I`m sure no one wants to snuff it/get fined(?) so if ya must have a look at the workings yourself, make sure its somewhere well ventilated, and out of view of anyone!
            VW Taro (hilux single cab PU) - 31" rubber, H/D springs and shackles, LSD, 4 pot front callipers, 2.4 N/A Flymo engine..

Comment

Assholes??

Yeah thanks for that. Glad you can read the posts that you're replying to before showering your praise!

Comment

Working...
              X