Tonnes of Smoke and Engine Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonnes of Smoke and Engine Dies

Not impressed at all. To fill you in on the background, I had the Head replaced with all the gubbins on my surf about 1000km ago. All was fine until I got the engine management light on pointing to the timer control valve (code 12) lat week. Anyway, driving the surf home at the weekend, after having it parked up at work for a week deciding what to do with it, crawling up a hill in 'safe mode' or whatever it is called when the engine management decides to steal all your power, I hear a clunk, and the surf loses all power, and plumes of black smoke out the back.

The car would re-start, but not tickover, just smokes loads and then cuts out. Could this indicate the timing belt has slipped a couple of teeth on the injector pump? What else could this be? Has anybody got a part number for the timing control valve?

When the engine does run, it sounds like it has really loud diesel knock. Doesn't sound like metal on metal though. Has anybody got any suggestions on where to start. As TonyN isn't around, i've had to get a mobile mechanic to come out, and just need some ideas on where to start looking.

Thanks
    Jez

Hi mate, back now! You want to give me ring, we'll get it back up here and see whats going on.

Timer control faults seem to cropping up lately, need to find out more about them. It makes it knock and smoke.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
    X