Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey 2.4 TD update

Hi again,

Thanks so much for all the tips regarding my smoking 2.4 TD surf.

If you remember she was smoking quite badly and also the idle was up and down.
    Having changed the fuel and air filters as suggested it did not cure the situation, in fact of late it has worstened.

She also seems to become totally gutless when the smoking occurs.

It just so happens that a neighbour used to work on Discos.
    He saw me out the front under the bonnet today and saw the smoke and took a look under the hood.

His diagnosis was that the Turbo seals had gone and the engine was drawing oil into it causing the problem, he also stated that this would mean a whole replacement turbo to put it right.

I was hoping someone on here could give me some guidance with regard to this possibility.
    Is this possible ? A common fault ?
    If this is the problem then does the whole turbo need replacing ?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Sounds like a good diagnosis - I've seen the same problem on a couple of vehicles and the symptoms sound good for a turbo seal failure. The cheapest option is probably to see if someone on here has a second hand one available.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

failing that you could get these good people involved http://www.turbotechnics.co.uk/docs/index.htm
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

koi had a turbo for sale not sure if its sold yet tho
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          koi had a turbo for sale not sure if its sold yet tho
          Can someone ask for me ?

I would be intrested.
          Thanks again

Comment

ok. oi, koi! you sold that turbo yet??? (he's here somewhere..)
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

failing that you could get these good people involved http://www.turbotechnics.co.uk/docs/index.htm
              I wouldnt recommend Turbo Technics to anyone in my opinion after I paid £900+ for a turbo upgrade on my CelicaGT4 which then blew its internals after 100miles.

Then the argument to get it fixed under warranty was unbelievable!!!

When they finally did it 4000 miles later, turbo seals gone - and they will not honour the warranty!!! AGAIN!!!

Bunch of ****-boys. Try calling on the warranty when something goes wrong. Not a chance without putting up a fight.

Sorry, but I would try somewhere else.

My Celica is currently sat with no Turbo. The best they could do... "give us £550 and we will rebuild it for you to a lesser spec"

Comment

I'm afraid I bought Koi's turbo last week. I replaced mine trying to solve a noise which turned out not to be the turbo at all, but Koi's seemed slightly better than mine all round.

Comment

don't s'pose you got the old one??

i need one for a project!!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Lomcevac
                    I'm afraid I bought Koi's turbo last week. I replaced mine trying to solve a noise which turned out not to be the turbo at all, but Koi's seemed slightly better than mine all round.
                    Thanks for letting me know.
                    If you have the working one you took off any chance of having that ?

Thanks

Si

Comment

I'm trying to decide whether to hang on to the old one just in case as Mrs Lomcevac has had the Surf for the last few days and thinks the new one smokes a bit. So give me a few days to check it out and think it over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomcevac
                        I'm trying to decide whether to hang on to the old one just in case as Mrs Lomcevac has had the Surf for the last few days and thinks the new one smokes a bit. So give me a few days to check it out and think it over.
                        I'm sure someone on here mentioned that a turbo rebuild costs just a few hundred pounds.

Comment

Working...
                        X