Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4D conversion almost finished -- missing parts

Hi all,

I've nearly finished converting my '89 Toyota truck (Hilux) from petrol to diesel. Took it out for a short drive yesterday for the first time, and the 2L-T engine sounds and drives really nice. However, I am still missing a few parts that I need to really finish things up, and I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me find them.

The engine I put in was from a RHD vehicle in Japan. On the RHD vehicles, the power steering pump is mounted low on the passenger (LH) side. Unfortunately, when you put that engine into a LHD vehicle, the steering pump hits the steering gearbox. Someone in Canada was kind enough to send me the mounting bracket and steering pump for a LHD vehicle so I could move the pump over to the other side (below the alternator) and solve that problem. However, the LHD steering pump requires an idler pulley and bracket which the Canadian fellow did not have. For whatever reason, the RHD Surf/Hilux doesn't use this idle pulley or bracket -- the belt is tensioned by rotating the pump outward on those vehicles.

I can get the pulley from my local Toyota dealer, because they used the same one on petrol 22RE engines. The bracket is a different story though. It was never used on any North America vehicle, so it doesn't even come up in the parts database. So I'm without power steering at the moment because I can't put the idle pulley and belt on without that bracket. Here's a picture of what I'm looking for (marked 44441 in the diagram):

Also, on LHD vehicles, a different bracket is used for the A/C compressor idle pulley, because of the RH-mounted steering pump. Again, I can get the pulley, but not the bracket (marked 88444 in the diagram):

For some other parts I've needed for this conversion, I've called some wreckers in other English-speaking places (UK, Australia, NZ), and they've been very helpful. But they all have RHD vehicles, so I don't think they'll be able to help me with these parts.

Wondering if there are any members on this forum from places in Europe with LHD vehicles? Would someone be willing to check with a wrecker to see if they have these parts? Or even check with a Toyota dealer over there to see if they can order them new? The full part numbers are 88444-35060 (compressor belt idle pulley bracket) and 44441-35040 (steering pump belt idle pulley bracket).

Thanks!

Jim Meehan
    Oakland, California, USA
    Last edited by jcm55; 16 August 2005, 18:28.
Working...
X