horrendous noise !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horrendous noise !

My 2.4 surf is producing a horrendous noise under load. I was advised by a garage that it was a knackered turbo. This seemed pheasable as the noise, a metalic whistle, increased in pitch with the increase of revs under load. The noise is not there when ticking over or when driving at a steady pace on the flat.

I replaced the turbo, and still have the pleasure of the ****** noise. The noise doesn't seem to be creating any problems as the car runs fine. I found a disconnected vaccum pipe, i reconnected and the noise dissappeared for a couple of days!

Does anyone have any ideas?

The overdrive light on the dash tends to flash on and off, although the overdrive works correctly. Is this a warning light or dodgy wiring?

Thanks Nod

Originally posted by nod
    My 2.4 surf is producing a horrendous noise under load. I was advised by a garage that it was a knackered turbo. This seemed pheasable as the noise, a metalic whistle, increased in pitch with the increase of revs under load. The noise is not there when ticking over or when driving at a steady pace on the flat.

I replaced the turbo, and still have the pleasure of the ****** noise. The noise doesn't seem to be creating any problems as the car runs fine. I found a disconnected vaccum pipe, i reconnected and the noise dissappeared for a couple of days!

Does anyone have any ideas?

The overdrive light on the dash tends to flash on and off, although the overdrive works correctly. Is this a warning light or dodgy wiring?

Thanks Nod
    Almost sounds like a loose belt (alternator, steering pump, air conditioning pump). Check the tension on all of 'em.

Comment

or maybe a gasket on one of the pipes the turbo pressurises?
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

This is turning into one those really annoying intermittent problems which disappears within a hundred yards of a mechanic!

I do hope it is the belts will check later.

Nod

Comment

Yo have my sympathy, see:
          http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15327

I am just about to fit a replacement turbo because I'm fairly sure mine is knackered anyway. I just hope that is the cause of my noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomcevac
            Yo have my sympathy, see:
            http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15327

I am just about to fit a replacement turbo because I'm fairly sure mine is knackered anyway. I just hope that is the cause of my noise.

We probably have the same problem. I don't think it is the turbo. I replaced mine and held on to the noise. I read elsewhere on the forum that somebody else has had the same experience, changing the turbo did not solve the problem. I'm not sure if the other guy has cleared it yet. Maybe hold off on the turbo replacement.

My squeal has become intermittent, previously it was constant. the only change is i have reconnected a vaccum pipe. The pipe is just in front of the turbo unit. 3 pipes converge on a plastic tee piece. The unconnected pipe was the one that connects to a bit of electronics on the left-hand side of the engine bay, in the middle of the pipe is something that looks like a small fuel filter.

I hope someone can solve this, as I sadly need to sell my surf. No one in their right mind would buy this car after hearing the noise.

Nod

Comment

Originally posted by nod
              the pipe is just in front of the turbo unit. 3 pipes converge on a plastic tee piece. The unconnected pipe was the one that connects to a bit of electronics on the left-hand side of the engine bay, in the middle of the pipe is something that looks like a small fuel filter.Nod
              These vacuum hoses you refer to are the small one from vacuum pump which enters a T piece.The two hoses from T piece control vacuum for the ADD and other components requiring vacuum on the engine.The electronic components on left (facing engine from front) are VSVs (vacuum solenoid valves).The hose in this area should go through a connection on inner guard to a vacuum tank under wheel arch and then return to the VSVs.From here there are two hoses which are connected to both VSVs for controlling the ADD on the front axle.

The hose on opposite side of T connects to a small metal vacuum tube on top of engine and continues across to passenger side where it splits to a number of items on the intake side of engine including high and low pressure switches,throttle butterfly and a couple of other things that I can't think of now.The small white filter is just that,a filter, to stop any oil from vacuum pump or dirt entering the VSVs and other electronic components.The VSVs and other things also have filters on the bottom to prevent dirt entering.

If there is only one hose disconnected somewhere in this system then you loose vacuum to everything so check all hoses for splits or loose connections.

Neville
              Last edited by NiftyNev; 12 August 2005, 13:46.

Comment

Nod

Have you checked the Air Con Belt tensioner pulley bearing.These can often cause a horrible noise if the bearing has dried up or been through water and mud.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                  These vacuum hoses you refer to are the small one from vacuum pump which enters a T piece.The two hoses from T piece control vacuum for the ADD and other components requiring vacuum on the engine.The electronic components on left (facing engine from front) are VSVs (vacuum solenoid valves).The hose in this area should go through a connection on inner guard to a vacuum tank under wheel arch and then return to the VSVs.From here there are two hoses which are connected to both VSVs for controlling the ADD on the front axle.

The hose on opposite side of T connects to a small metal vacuum tube on top of engine and continues across to passenger side where it splits to a number of items on the intake side of engine including high and low pressure switches,throttle butterfly and a couple of other things that I can't think of now.The small white filter is just that,a filter, to stop any oil from vacuum pump or dirt entering the VSVs and other electronic components.The VSVs and other things also have filters on the bottom to prevent dirt entering.

If there is only one hose disconnected somewhere in this system then you loose vacuum to everything so check all hoses for splits or loose connections.

Neville
                  Wow thank you Nev.

I am a mechanical novice, i have two questions what is the ADD? And is it possible that poor fuel consumption could be related to the vaccum pipe not being connected.

I will investigate the AC tensioner pulley and report back.

Nod

Comment

Originally posted by nod
                    Wow thank you Nev.

I am a mechanical novice, i have two questions what is the ADD? And is it possible that poor fuel consumption could be related to the vaccum pipe not being connected.

I will investigate the AC tensioner pulley and report back.

Nod
                    ADD is the Automatic Dicconnecting Differential.This will help explain how it works.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/

Vacuum problems can cause all sorts of weird things to happen but poor fuel consumption I'm not sure about.Can't help it though.

I might add that things like VSVs not only rely on vacuum but are also electrically operated.The valve opens or closes depending on the position of the 4WD switch etc and this controls the direction the vacuum is applied to the ADD actuator to engage or disengage the front axle.

That's enough for me tonight.I'm going to bed.

Neville
                    Last edited by NiftyNev; 12 August 2005, 14:48.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                      ADD is the Automatic Dicconnecting Differential.This will help explain how it works.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/add/

Vacuum problems can cause all sorts of weird things to happen but poor fuel consumption I'm not sure about.Can't help it though.

I might add that things like VSVs not only rely on vacuum but are also electrically operated.The valve opens or closes depending on the position of the 4WD switch etc and this controls the direction the vacuum is applied to the ADD actuator to engage or disengage the front axle.

That's enough for me tonight.I'm going to bed.

Neville
                      Thanks Nev

Comment

Thank you for the advice on the vaccum pipe, my 4x4 is working again. A major repair no huge expense.

I think the belts are correctly tensioned, how should I lubricate the AC tensioning pulley? WD40?

Thanks in advance.

Nod

Comment

Originally posted by nod
                          I think the belts are correctly tensioned, how should I lubricate the AC tensioning pulley? WD40?
                          Nod
                          No! WD40 will disolve the grease if there is any left in there.It may quieten it down for a short time if squealing but that's only a temporary fix.If the bearing has seen better days then you need to replace the whole pulley.As far as I know then are non repairable unlike the idler on the air con which can be disassembled and a replacement bearing installed.

Neville

Comment

Nod - did your management light(middle of rev counter) come on intermittently when you had these probs..?? Mine does and it puts my engine into limp mode, I've tried disconnecting the batteries for an hour to reset the ecu but no avail... I have had it connected to a diagnostic computer and it showed crank sensor fault(???) but when this fault was reset and put back on computer next day the fault did not appear again on computer but I still have the light come on now and again usually when I lift my foot off the accelerator ie to go down hill..... HELP !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 30Surfer
                              Nod - did your management light(middle of rev counter) come on intermittently when you had these probs..?? Mine does and it puts my engine into limp mode, I've tried disconnecting the batteries for an hour to reset the ecu but no avail... I have had it connected to a diagnostic computer and it showed crank sensor fault(???) but when this fault was reset and put back on computer next day the fault did not appear again on computer but I still have the light come on now and again usually when I lift my foot off the accelerator ie to go down hill..... HELP !!!

No, the managment light has not come on. But the o/d light keeps flashing! I have no idea why.

Nod

Comment

Working...
                              X