Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged radiator

Hi all

i was off roading at the weekend at Tixover quarry with my 2.4 surf and had a great time doing hill climbs and water crossing etc etc.

Then it was time to leave and on the way home i noticed the temp gauge rising above where it normally sits so i pull over switch off and open the bonnet and the cooling fins of my rad a full of sand so no air can pass so i call my mate who has a transporter to come and get me as i only live 15 mile away.

Get the surf home remove the grill and eletric cooling fan and pressure wash all the sand and muck out and its fine and the temp stays at normal.

The question is is there any other kind of radiator that has larger cooling fins so dirt and muck passes past so it dose'nt clogg.

Or how do others prevent the rad from clogging other than not going off roading and not doing water crossing.

Cheers

Steve
    They can go fast, I can go anywhere.

Two ways to do this.

One) don't get your toy dirty...

Two) get your toy dirty, but make sure you keep the rad clear. Check basic stuff after all major crossings, or at least those that could cause problems.

Yes you can get a rad built with fewer fins per inch than standard... but there will be a trade off. I had mine built with slightly fewer fins per inch, so the fine stuff had a greater chance of going through. Slightly fewer than an upgraded Stag rad... So far, it is behaving... still can't stop watching the temp guage though...

ARB show a fine barrier mesh that goes over the main rad opening to stop spiniflex grass damaging the rad in their catalogue....

Comment

Working...
    X